'Fairly Legal' Has Decent Debut, 'Royal Pains' Returns for First Winter Run
USA's latest new series Fairly Legal with Sarah Shahi launched last night.
Luring in 3.9 million viewers for its Thursday debut, Legal was below the network's averages for a series premiere, though none of its original scripted shows have ever launched in mid-January. In that sense, Legal was the guinea pig.
Expectations were kept in check for Legal's premiere, considering the wealth of television available to viewers (and MTV's record-setting telecast of Jersey Shore) on Thursdays, and USA noted that its numbers were well within range.
(For added context but not direct comparisons, White Collar, which debuted in October 2009, drew in 5.3 million; In Plain Sight premiered June 2008 with 5.3 million; and Covert Affairs snagged 4.9 million for its July launch. Affairs did see a ratings uptick.)
Nearly a third of Legal's viewership belonged in the key 18-49 demo, with 1.4 million viewers. In the 18-34 category, roughy 506,000 belonged in the demographic, while 1.58 million fell in the 25-54 bracket.
The winter premiere of Royal Pains snagged 4.4 million viewers at 9 p.m. and offered Legal a healthy lead-in, though it was down significantly -- though expected -- compared to its Season 2 summer opener (5.8 million). This is the first time USA is airing Pains throughout the winter and the first time the dramedy is being used as a launching pad for a new series, instead of following the veteran spy drama Burn Notice.
Like Legal, roughly a third of Pain's viewers (1.5 million) belonged in the adult demo.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Grant Gustin Is Proud & Stoked to Wear 'Flash' Costume!
- Angelina Jolie Reveals She Will Have Another Preventative Cancer Surgery
- Shailene Woodley Slams 'Twilight' to 'Teen Vogue': It's About An Unhealthy, Toxic Relationship
- Sarah Michelle Gellar & James Wolk Are 'The Crazy Ones' at Hall of Fame Gala!