Maria Bello Closing Deal for NBC's 'Prime Suspect' Pilot
The actress, who has been courted for the pilot since last year, will play the role originated by Helen Mirren.
Maria Bello is putting the final touches on a deal to reprise the role originated by Helen Mirren in NBC's adaptation of Prime Suspect, according to sources.
Bello, who has been courted for the pilot since last year, met with executive producer Peter Berg on Friday. Prime Suspect has been in development at NBC for some time. It was originally targeted as a midseason replacement series for the 2010-11 season. But new NBC entertainment chief Bob Greenblatt revived the project as a contender for fall. Berg (Friday Night Lights) will executive produce with Alexandra Cunningham (Desperate Housewives) as showrunner if the pilot goes to series.
Mirren played hard-bitten Detective Inspector Jane Tennison for seven seasons on the Granada Television series, racking up critical accolades and awards, including multiple Emmys.
Last year, Bello did a two-episode stint on Law & Order: SVU. But she hasn't been a series TV regular since 1998, when she did one season of ER. Before that, she starred in the short-lived ABC spy drama Mr. and Mrs. Smith. She's been nurturing a film career including roles in The Company Men and A History of Violence.
Bello is repped by CAA, manager John Carrabino and attorney Bob Myman.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)