Maria Bello Closing Deal for NBC's 'Prime Suspect' Pilot
The actress, who has been courted for the pilot since last year, will play the role originated by Helen Mirren.
Maria Bello is putting the final touches on a deal to reprise the role originated by Helen Mirren in NBC's adaptation of Prime Suspect, according to sources.
Bello, who has been courted for the pilot since last year, met with executive producer Peter Berg on Friday. Prime Suspect has been in development at NBC for some time. It was originally targeted as a midseason replacement series for the 2010-11 season. But new NBC entertainment chief Bob Greenblatt revived the project as a contender for fall. Berg (Friday Night Lights) will executive produce with Alexandra Cunningham (Desperate Housewives) as showrunner if the pilot goes to series.
Mirren played hard-bitten Detective Inspector Jane Tennison for seven seasons on the Granada Television series, racking up critical accolades and awards, including multiple Emmys.
Last year, Bello did a two-episode stint on Law & Order: SVU. But she hasn't been a series TV regular since 1998, when she did one season of ER. Before that, she starred in the short-lived ABC spy drama Mr. and Mrs. Smith. She's been nurturing a film career including roles in The Company Men and A History of Violence.
Bello is repped by CAA, manager John Carrabino and attorney Bob Myman.
GENIUS LOST: ROBIN WILLIAMS
What's Hot in TV
- 'The Theory of Everything' Shines a Light on Stephen Hawking's Love Life
- Robert Rodriguez's Inspiring Speech Will Make You Proud To Be American
- Victoria Justice On Dealing With Cyberbullying, Fashion Inspiration And Her Advice To Teens
- James Franco's New Film 'Kink' Explores BDSM Community, Lifestyle
- Lena Dunham Felt So Much Joy Watching Andrew Rannells in 'Hedwig & the Angry Inch'
- Chris Martin Wears Fat Suit in Coldplay's 'True Love' Music Video - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Swings By Kari Feinstein's Style Lounge Ahead of Emmys 2014
- New 'Gotham' Trailer Gives Viewers a Grim & Exciting View of What's to Come!