Marlee Matlin Joins ABC Family's 'Switched at Birth'
Sean Berdy upped to a series regular on the new drama, premiering this summer.
Oscar winner Marlee Matlin has been cast in ABC Family’s Switched at Birth.
In addition, Sean Berdy has been upped to series regular status. Berdy, a deaf actor, plays Emmett, Daphne’s (Katie Leclerc) best friend from school.
Matlin, who has appeared on The West Wing and The L Word, will guest star as Melody, the mother to Emmett (Berdy) and best friend to Regina.
“I’m so proud to be a part of this show,” Matlin said “It’s incredibly inspiring to see a television drama embrace a storyline that portrays diverse families from both the hearing and the deaf and hard of hearing worlds.”
Switched at Birth centers on two teenage girls who find out they were switched at birth as newborns in the hospital. Vanessa Marano, Lea Thompson, D.W. Moffett, Lucas Grabeel and Constance Marie also star.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot in TV
- Kevin Feige On 'Ant-Man' Backlash: 'I Expected It'
- Yes, Even Rock Stars Like Dum Dum Girls Freak Out When They Meet Their Idols
- Ted Nugent Show Canceled After Native-American Tribe Hears About Rocker's 'Racist And Hate-Filled Remarks'
- Stephen Colbert Asks Nancy Pelosi If She Has Naked Pictures Of John Boehner