Milch, Mann, Hoffman land HBO series
The series has "Deadwood" scribe David Milch writing the script, Dustin Hoffman in the lead role and Michael Mann directing the pilot. (With those kind of auspices, you don't need much luck to secure a greenlight).
"Luck" is billed as provocative look at horse racing – the owners, gamblers, jockeys and diverse gaming industry players.
"Michael Mann delivered a pilot from David Milch’s brilliant script that took our breath away," said HBO programming president Michael Lombardo. "We are truly excited that these two artists, and our extraordinary cast headed by Dustin Hoffman, will be bringing 'Luck' to life."
The show begins production this fall at Santa Anita and other Los Angeles locations.
The rest of the cast: Dennis Farina, John Ortiz, Kevin Dunn, Richard Kind, Jason Gedrick, Ritchie Coster, Ian Hart, Tom Payne, Kerry Condon, Gary Stevens and Nick Nolte.
Executive producers are Milch, Mann and Carolyn Strauss; co-executive producer Henry Bronchtein and producer Hoffman.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)