'Modern Family' return sets record; 'Undercovers' slumps, 'Whole Truth' tanks
UPDATED: The return of ABC's Emmy-winning "Modern Family" set a ratings record, but a couple new series failed to impress.
"Modern Family" (12.7 million viewers, 5.1 adults 18-49 rating) returned 21% higher than last fall and easily ranked as the evening's top-rated show. This is the hit comedy's biggest rating ever.
Among freshman premieres, CBS' legal drama "The Defenders" (12.2 million, 2.9) starring Jim Belushi opened with the best numbers. Still, "Defenders" dropped 28% from both its "Criminal Minds" (14.1 million, 4.0) lead-in and from the debut of "CSI: NY" in the slot last fall. While "Minds" was off 9% from last year.
The series premiere of J.J. Abrams' spy dramedy "Undercovers" (8.7 million, 2.0) underwhelmed on NBC. "Undercovers" was down 13% from "Mercy" opening in that same slot and placed last at 8 p.m. among the major networks.
Jerry Bruckheimer's latest legal procedural "The Whole Truth" (4.8 million, 1.5) couldn't make its case at 10 p.m. The ABC drama was down 50% from "Eastwick" debuting in the hour last fall, and fell 55% from its "Cougar Town" lead-in (8.3 million, 3.4).
"Cougar Town" was off 23% despite its "Modern Family" lead-in rising -- and even with Jennifer Aniston guest starring. ABC's new comedy block addition "Better With You" (7.8 million, 2.5) performed about the same as "The Middle" in the time period last year. "The Middle" (8.8 million, 2.7), now at 8 p.m., improved a bit despite its earlier time period.
Overall: CBS won Wednesday with "Survivor" (12.6 million, 4.0) staying rock steady, followed by its procedurals.
Fox placed second with the two-hour premiere of "Hell's Kitchen" (6.6 million, 2.9), rising a notch from last year.
ABC and NBC tied for third, with NBC airing a two-hour "Law & Order: SVU" premiere (10.1 million, 3.2), up 28% from last year.
The CW aired "America's Next Top Model" (2.8 million, 1.3), steady with last week, and "Hellcats" (2.3 million, 1.0), down in the demo, but up slightly among The CW's women 18-34 target.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot in TV
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch