MTV's Video Music Awards draws record ratings
Say what you will about Chelsea Handler, her hosting job didn't hurt the VMA's ratings.
MTV's annual event drew its biggest audience for any telecast on the network since 2002.
The VMAs had 11.4 million viewers, up 27% from 2009. In the network's 12-34 demo, the show pulled a 10.0 rating, up 33%.
Recent VMAs have shown a marked improvement from the telecast's ratings slump a few years ago, such as when the 2006 music awards drew only 5.8 million viewers. Last year's audience (9 million) was the most-watched since 2004.
The Los Angeles-based show saw Lady Gaga walk away with three statues (in a raw meat dress, no less), as well as Taylor Swift and Kanye West performing new songs.
Though the VMAs lacked a single nuclear-buzz moment, MTV has been riding high this summer thanks to "Jersey Shore" and aired a season two marathon of the reality hit leading up to the awards show's telecast.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot in TV
- Guillermo del Toro Unveils Comic-Con 'Pacific Rim,' 'Crimson Peak' Fan Experiences
- Jo Nesbo's latest page-turner, "The Son"...Elaine Stritch---The Great Fantasy Dinner Guest!
- Why 'Modern Family' Star Eric Stonestreet Refused A Photo With Rick Santorum
- Questlove: Iggy Azalea's 'Fancy' Is A Game-Changer