NBC to change 'Today' wedding contest after protests
NBC has agreed to change the rules of a "Today" show wedding contest after receiving complaints from gay activists slamming the annual event as discriminatory.
The morning show's "Modern Day Wedding" contest will be opened to allow same-sex couple after network executives met with Thursday with representatives from the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD).
The contest, which got underway last week, has aired for 11 years and allows viewers to
vote on which couple will win a wedding that is telecast live on the air.
NBC initially argued that it was excluding same-sex
couples because "the couple must be able to be legally married in New
York, which is where the wedding will take place."
GLAAD countered that New York State legally
recognizes same-sex marriages licensed in other states.
mistakenly equated the marriage license with the wedding celebration," GLAAD said in a statement.
thrilled that 'Today Show's 'Modern Wedding Contest' now recognizes what
most fair-minded Americans have already concluded - a wedding
celebrates love and commitment, whether the spouses are straight or
gay," said Jarrett Barrios, president of GLAAD. "NBC heard GLAAD and the thousands of
viewers who contacted them. And they have moved to make their contest a
truly modern wedding where any couple can share their story ... we encourage qualified same-sex couples to submit their
In a statement, NBC said the network received "considerable response" regarding the controversy.
"Our intent was not to be discriminatory or exclusive," the network said. "In
2005 when the wedding took place outside of New York, the application
process was open to same-sex couples. We have listened to every
voicemail and read every email. We take this feedback seriously, and we
will change our application process. Moving forward, we ensure that our future wedding
contests will be inclusive of all couples."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!