NFL Beats World Series for First Time
For the first time in modern ratings history, a primetime football game has beaten the World Series.
Sunday Night Football went head-to-head against Game 4 of the World Series last night. The Pittsburgh vs. New Orleans coverage drew an 11.8 rating in the early household ratings compared to MLB's San Francisco vs. Texas Rangers game delivering a 10.4.
Not only does this mark the first time NFL has beaten the World Series since the current measuring system was installed in 1991 (and given the popularity of baseball before then, almost certainly ever), it was also the lowest-rated Game 4 of all time.
There's a slim chance in the nationals that the baseball game could overcome the ratings gap at tie or pass the NFL, but network analysts say that's unlikely.
In the adult demo, the numbers are expected to be further apart, with the NFL easily beating MLB.
Fox points out that the network still managed to win the night, thanks to some sports overrun in early primetime -- from an NFL game.
Otherwise, Sunday night had Amazing Race (9.2 million, 2.5), Undercover Boss (10.4 million, 2.9) and CSI Miami (9.9 million, 2.6). ABC had Extreme Makeover (6.6 million, 1.8), Desperate Housewives (11 million, 3.5) and Brothers & Sisters (8.2 million, 2.3). All were very low, as one would expect given the double intensive sports coverage.
2014 Emmy Awards
What's Hot in TV
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'
- Chris Hemsworth Gets to Showcase Comedic Side in 'Vacation'