Olbermann Suspends 'Worst Persons' Segment
MSNBC Countdown host Keith Olbermann announced tonight he's suspending his longtime "Worst Persons in the World" segment in the wake of Jon Stewart's slam of cable news anger and partisanship at last weekend's rally.
"There is an institutionalization of it that may no longer be valid," Olbermann said. "That is the 'Worst Persons in the World' segment, which started as a way, of all things, of defending Tucker Carlson. Its satire and whimsy have gradually gotten lost in some anger, so in the spirit of the thing, as of right now, I am unilaterally suspending that segment with an eye towards discontinuing it. We don't know how that works long-term. We might bring it back. We might bring back something similar to it. We might kill it outright."
Olbermann defended MSNBC, however, from Stewart's criticisms that suggested MSNBC and Fox News are equally problematic.
"Sticking up for the powerless is not the moral equivalent of sticking up for the powerful," the host said.
Here's the clip:
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!