Oprah Scores Highest Ratings in Almost Six Years With Half-Sister
11:29 AM PST 1/25/2011 by Marisa Guthrie
Monday’s episode juices daytime tune-in.
If only every daytime talk show host had a long-lost half sister.Oprah Winfrey scored her best ratings in nearly six years with Monday’s show during which Winfrey revealed that she had a half-sister she never knew. The installment of Winfrey’s daytime talker averaged a 9.6 household rating (according to metered market weighted averages). That’s the highest episode since Winfrey’s post-Oscar party installment on Feb. 28, 2005. Winfrey teased the big reveal on her show last Friday promising a “shocking family secret” that she said “literally shook me to the core.” Winfrey’s younger half-sister Patricia was given up for adoption by Winfrey’s mother in 1963. At the time, Winfrey was living with her father and did not know her mother was pregnant. Of course, this is not the first personal detail that Winfrey has unveiled on her daytime show. She has also revealed that she was molested as a child and lost a baby at 14.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot in TV
- Charlie Hunnam Speaks Up About 'Sons of Anarchy' Emmy Snubs at FX TCA Panel
- Daniel Radcliffe Premieres 'What If' in Toronto After Closing Out Broadway's 'Cripple of Inishmaan'
- Selena Gomez & Cara Delevingne are Saint-Tropez Bikini Babes!
- LeAnn Rimes & Eddie Cibrian Missed His Kids So Much During Reality Show Promo Trip