Robert De Niro, Richard Price sell cop drama to CBS
Exclu: Actor Robert De Niro and gritty crime writer Richard Price are teaming for a new police drama at CBS.
The duo have made a script deal with the network for "Rookies," about a team of six freshman cops who are sent into high-crime trouble spots.
De Niro's Tribeca Productions and CBS TV Studios is set to produce the drama. Both De Niro and Price are executive producers, along with Jane Rosenthal.
Price is best known to TV crime fans for his work on HBO's "The Wire," though also wrote films such as "The Color of Money," "Ransom" and "Clockers" (based on his novel). Price and De Niro previously teamed on the film "Mad Dog & Glory."
The project is part of Tribeca's two-year-old overall deal with CBS TV Studios. Last year, the company developed a drama series at Showtime.
The deal gives CBS another potential crime procedural to add to its successful lineup of shows like "Criminal Minds" and "The Mentalist." Price's usual street-savvy style is more intense than typical CBS fare, which could bring some edge to the network.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Gwyneth Paltrow Granted Restraining Order Against Stalker After Multiple Scares
- Elizabeth Warren On Whether Women Are Treated Differently Than Men In Washington: 'Yep.'
- Amy Poehler & Tina Fey's 'The Nest' Will Open Opposite 'Star Wars: Episode VII'
- Robyn & Röyksopp Release Two New Songs From 'Do It Again' EP