Rosie O'Donnell to launch talk show on Oprah's net
Rosie O'Donnell is returning to daytime TV -- and on Oprah Winfrey's network.
The Emmy-winning O'Donnell will launch a new chat show on former rival Winfrey's upcoming OWN cable network.
"Rosie is an undeniable talent who has captivated TV audiences for nearly 20 years," said Oprah Winfrey in a statement. "She’s a true original, who brings her authentic voice, dynamic energy and pure passion to everything she does."
"It’s an honor and a privilege to work with Oprah Winfrey on her network," added Rosie O’Donnell. "I’m excited to be back on daytime television."
The hour-long New York-based show is described "a fun, uplifting show with Ms. O’Donnell’s playful and energetic style." The series will be produced by Donnell, and brought to OWN by longtime Warner Bros. syndication veterans Dick Robertson and Scott Carlin.
O'Donnell won six consecutive Emmys hosting the syndicated "The Rosie O’Donnell Show," which ran from 1996 to 2002. Four years ago, she replaced Meredith Vieira of "The View" and the show saw a considerable ratings increase (about 27%).
Not all of her TV efforts have been successful, however. O'Donnell's attempt to revive the primetime variety show on NBC was considered a critical and ratings disaster.
OWN, a venture backed by Winfrey and Discovery Communications, launches in January in 80 million homes. O'Donnell's talk show will debut sometime next year.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Matt Bomer Talks 'Fifty Shades' Casting Rumors, Wants to Return for 'Magic Mike XXL'!
- Taylor Swift & Sarah Hyland See an Off-Broadway Play Together!
- Hilary Duff Treats Herself to a Vegan Dinner at Crossroads!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Express Sadness Over Death of Camilla Parker Bowles' Brother