Ryan Murphy Signs on to Produce 'Glee' Reality Spinoff
The winner of the Oxygen competition series will get a seven-episode arc on the Fox hit.
PASADENA — Ryan Murphy and Dante Di Loreto have singed on as executive producers of Oxygen’s Glee Project.
Glee creator Murphy has had his hand in Oxygen’s competition series, which gives one very lucky winner a seven-episode arc on Glee. But having Murphy officially onboard instantly boosts the spinoff’s credibility.
“You’ll never see the name Glee and not know that Ryan Murphy is involved,” Di Loreto told reporters gathered here for the Television Critics Association press tour. “Everything creatively about the show is always driven by Ryan.”
The Glee Project, which is also executive produced by Michael Davies and Shauna Minoprio of Embassy Row, is from 20th Century Fox TV. It was originally set up to air on Fox, but when Murphy backed away to focus on the second season of Glee, the project went into limbo.
Oxygen snapped it up along with off-net rerun rights to Glee for about $500,000 per episode.
Glee begins its run on Oxygen Feb. 5 with a marathon of favorite episodes including “The Power of Madonna,” “The Rocky Horror Glee Show” and “Britney/Brittany.”
The 10-episode Glee Project bows in June. And though there is at this point no commitment for a second iteration, producers are hopeful that it can continue to provide talent for Glee.
“Hopefully this is successful and we get to do it again,” said Di Loreto. “Our show has been able to grow talent and hopefully that can continue on [The Glee Project].”
The show drew more than 40,000 applications, many from Broadway and movie actors, and will winnow the field of finalists week-by-week. The show’s producers will select the winner.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)