'Saturday Night Live' ratings rise; Perry spoofs 'Sesame Street' flap (video)
Katy Perry may not be welcome on "Sesame Street," but her appearance sure didn't hurt the ratings for "Saturday Night Live."
Musical guest Perry and host Amy Poehler headlined the 36th season premiere of the NBC late-night comedy show last night.
The episode delivered a 5.3 overnight household rating, up 15% from last year. Some thought the choice of former cast-member and "Parks & Recreation" star Poehler was a too-safe in-house choice for the show, but clearly fans were ready to see her back on the show.
Excluding the 2008 premiere (boosted by interest in that year’s Presidential election and featured a guest appearance by Tina Fey as Gov. Sarah Palin), last night's "SNL" was the highest-rated opening for the series since 2006 (host Dane Cook, musical guest The Killers).
Below, Katy Perry spoofs her "Sesame Street" controversy:
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Emmy Rossum & Zoey Deutch Celebrate with Jimmy Choo at their CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Zoe Saldana Is Pregnant with Fear in 'Rosemary's Baby' Trailer!
- Television Legend Valerie Harper 'Absolutely Cancer Free' After Battle with Terminal Brain Cancer
- Keri Russell's 'The Americans' Renewed for Third Season by FX!