'Simpsons' Producer Talks Fox News, Jeff Zucker
Below, executive producer Al Jean answers some burning questions about what's going on this season and whether producers are getting all-caps emails from Rupert Murdoch...
THR: So why isn't Sunday night's Fox News gag online? Some have conspirary theories...
Jean: It was inserted late because we did the first joke last week and Bill O'Reilly got upset and called [the characters] "pinheads." If you're calling cartoon characters "pinheads," what does that make you? [Simpsons creator] Matt Groening wanted to do a response to O'Reilly so we slipped this in just for U.S. version. We didn't pay to put it into every edition, which saves the company money that can be funneled back to Fox News and O'Reilly.
THR: What kind of reaction have you received from Fox, or from NewsCorp, about the jokes?
Jean: We did a parody of the Fox News crawl about eight years ago and we talked to the guy he does the crawls and he said he loved it, so they do have a sense of humor about themselves.* We're shooting for two different audiences. Our audience was definitely pleased with the Fox News jokes.
THR: Will there be a third chopper gag?
Jean: I think at that point you're becoming stale. I believe that something is only funny twice. Next week, the show is so long we don't even have a couch gag.
THR: Did you hear any reaction from Jeff Zucker over the previous week's joke?
Jean: No. They designed [the character] to look like him. But we understand he's on his way out and we actually took a Zucker joke out of the show, figuring, "What's the point?." But the way that [character] looked, he was just perfect for NBC.
THR: With the Banksy couch gag, and the Fox News jokes, is it just us or has The Simpsons been a bit more edgy this season?
Jean: If you think that, that's great. I was amazed -- in a good way -- by the reaction to the Banksy couch gag. We've always just tried to do satirical shows about a family.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot in TV
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch
- Elizabeth Banks Dishes on 'Pitch Perfect 2': The Bellas Have Gotten Too Big for Their Britches
- Evan Rachel Wood Has the Coolest Backpack Ever Because It Looks Like R2D2!
- Hercules' Irina Shayk Leaves Craig Ferguson Speechless - Watch Now
- Leonardo DiCaprio Tries to Keep Low Profile After Raising $25 Million