Starz Confirms Second Season of 'Spartacus: Blood and Sand'
Production on long-delayed followup will go ahead as net is close to finding new star.
UPDATED: Starz is going ahead with what will be the second season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand.
Though not unexpected, Chris Albercht, president and CEO of Starz confirmed the news at the Television Critics Association press tour here.
Starz had intended to do a second [chronological] season of the sword and sandal epic. A prequel, Gods of the Arena, bows Jan. 21 at 10 p.m. But lead actor Andy Whitfield’s diagnosis last year with non-Hodgkin lymphoma delayed production of the second season as casting directors set about looking for a new actor to play Spartacus.
The second season is likely to go into production this spring but is not expected to bow until 2012.
Actors reported to be in the running for the lead include Stephen Amell, Aiden Turner and Liam McIntyre.
Albrecht said the casting process is nearing its conclusion though he declined to offer any news.
“We’re very confident about where we are in the casting process of finding a lead actor to step into Spartacus’ sandals,” said Albrecht, “though we’ll never be able to replace Andy Whitfield.”
Fall TV Preview
What's Hot in TV
- Cersei's Major 'Game Of Thrones' Nude Scene Is Officially Going To Happen
- Kim Kardashian Takes Her Crop Top To The Next Level With A Deep V-Neck
- Famous Women Point Out Exactly Why Leaking Nude Photos Is So Very Wrong
- Melissa Rivers Confirms Mother Joan Is On Life Support, Thanks Fans For Their Kindness
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley & Jason Statham Grab Brunch in Malibu for Labor Day!
- Uma Thurman Joins Co-Stars to Premiere 'Nymphomaniac - Vol. II' at Venice Film Festival
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Manganiello Hold Hands After Romantic Mexico Getaway
- Lady Gaga Reunites with Pet Pooch Asia at LAX Airport - Watch the Adorable Video!