Super Bowl Viewing Alternatives: A Round-Up
Viewers not interested in the big game have plenty of other options, including marathons of "Jersey Shore," "Ghost Hunters" and "Law & Order" -- along with the annual "Puppy Bowl."
Not into the big game? Don't care about the commercials? Or just want to catch up the recent exploits of Snooki & Co.?
Not to worry. There are plenty of alternative choices for viewers who couldn't care less about the Super Bowl.
New Jersey will be front and center on MTV and Style Network. MTV is airing a six-hour Jersey Shore marathon starting at noon ET/9 a.m. PT. The so-called Jersey Bowl will feature all of the third-season episodes that have aired so far along with a sneak peak at the rest of the season.
Meanwhile, Style's Sunday lineup will consist of nothing but Jerseylicious episodes starting at 6 a.m.
Animal Planet will feature the seventh edition of its annual Puppy Bowl, starting at 3 p.m. ET/PT. "Players" include a shepherd mix named Big Red and cocker spaniel mix named Brownie Sundae.
Syfy and Travel Channel are going the ghostly route. Syfy is airing a 12-hour Ghost Hunters marathon starting at 9 a.m., while Travel Channel is programming Ghost Adventures all day long from 9 a.m.
TNT and USA will duel with competing Law & Order marathons. TNT will show 13 hours of the original starting at 5 a.m., while USA's nearly all-day marathon of SVU starts at 10 a.m.
A&E also is going the procedural route with a Criminal Minds marathon starting at 5 p.m.
TBS is going after female viewers with movies including the Julia Roberts flick Pretty Woman, the Cameron Diaz-Kate Winslet starrer The Holiday, Nia Vardalos' My Big Fat Greek Wedding and the network TV premiere of Mammia Mia! with Meryl Streep and Amanda Seyfried.
Also competing for women's attentions are -- naturally -- Lifetime, Oxygen, WEtv and TLC.
Lifetime is airing a marathon of movies starring Kirstie Alley and Kelly Preston, among others, while Oxygen kicks the day off at 8 a.m. with seven hours of America's Next Top Model, followed by a marathon of the crime show Snapped at 2 p.m.
WEtv and TLC will feature wedding-themed series. WEtv's lineup, starting at 9 a.m., includes multiple episodes of Rich Bride, Poor Bride and My Fair Wedding With David Tutera, among other shows.
TLC kicks off the day with a Say Yes to the Dress marathon at 9 a.m., finishing out the day with Toddlers & Tiaras episodes starting at 3 p.m.
E! Entertainment also is going after females with a Sex and the City marathon starting at noon that will be interspersed with episodes of Holly's World, Bridalplasty and Kourtney & Kim Take New York, plus the movie The Princess Diaries.
Bravo will air marathons of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and The Real Housewives of Atlanta starting at 3:30 p.m.
VH1 is keeping with both the sports and wives vibes, airing seven hours of Basketball Wives starting at noon.
Discovery Channel will split the day between marathons of Gold Rush: Alaska (starting at 11 a.m.) and Destroyed in Seconds (kicking off at 6 p.m.).
BBC America injects some testosterone with a daylong marathon of Top Gear, while male-targeted network Spike TV will air 11 hours of 1000 Ways to Die starting at 1 p.m.
BET kicks off 11 hours of The Mo'Nique Show at noon.
Oh, and for those who actually do want to watch the Super Bowl -- which a recent THR poll reveals is expected to set ratings records -- it airs at 6:30 p.m. ET/3:30 p.m. PT Sunday on Fox.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot in TV
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet
- Evangeline Lilly Gets Candid About Lost, Writing, and Comic-Book Breasts
- 7 Reasons Weird Al Won the Internet and Topped the Charts
- Dakota Fanning on 'Very Good Girl' Sex Scenes: 'I Wasn’t Very Uncomfortable With It'
- Lily Allen Dedicates 'As Long As I Got You' Music Video to Glastonbury Memories - Watch Now!
- Azealia Banks & Jourdan Dunn Are Navy Ladies for French Connection #NeverMissATrick Launch Party
- Jennifer Hudson Advises 'Don't Expect Respect When You Don't Respect Nothing!'