Syfy letting fans create new Saturday night movie
The network is launching a production site, B Movie Mogul, where
fans can vote and pitch ideas for the film -- from the title, creatures,
wardrobe, dialogue and character deaths to promotional
The resulting script will be shot as a two-hour Syfy original
movie that will air next year.
"We constantly have fans e-mailing with compliments, complaints and
questions about our movies, and this is a way of involving the fans
in a new way," said Thomas Vitale, executive vp programming and
original movies for the network. "This is where entertainment is going and just the
start of many more things of this nature for Syfy."
Syfy is teaming with entertainment site IGN on the site; the
partnership will last 15 months and launch Friday.
The first stage
will have fans voting on one of three overall concepts for the
movie: a 2010 apocalypse story, a Bermuda Triangle-set creature
feature or a Roswell, N.M.-set alien movie.
But the venture raises the question: What if fans create a lousy
"When you have a lot of people working on something, good ideas
will come out of it," Vitale said. "We will have something that
will be entertaining."
Below is Syfy's latest creature feature trailer:
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot in TV
- Old Dogs & New Tricks: The Oral History of a 'Gay' Web Series (Part 2)
- Steven Tyler Wails 'Dream On' In Maui Like It's 1973
- HuffPost Live's 'Spoiler Alert' Looks Back At This Season's Earliest TV Cancellations
- Remembering Mike Nichols, His Insight and His Introduction to Jacqueline Kennedy at El Morocco
- Beyonce Shows Off Her Booty in Hilarious Made-at-Home Music Video for '7/11'
- Nina Dobrev Celebrates RH Atlanta's Gallery Opening
- Colin Farrell on Set of 'True Detective' Will Get You Pumped Up for the Second Season
- How To Get Away With Murder's Karla Souza & Katie Findlay Celebrate The Golden Globes