Tony Awards sink against towering NBA Finals
Related: 'Red,' 'Memphis' top Tony Awards
Sunday night's 64th Annual Tony Awards on CBS sank in the ratings, breaking a streak of major awards presentations improving on broadcast this year.
The Tony's drew 7 million viewers and a slender 1.2 preliminary rating among adults 18-49, down 8% from last year. Still, that's not as weak as 2008, which managed to draw a 1.1 rating.
The telecast ran against ABC's presentation of Game 5 of the NBA Finals, which was up 36% this year.
The LA Lakers at Boston Celtics match drew a 12.8 overnight household rating -- the highest of the series so far and marking the top-rated NBA Finals Game 5 since 2004.
The numbers for HBO's "True Blood" and the finale of AMC's "Breaking Bad" are certainly of interest, too. AMC special ordered fast nationals from Nielsen, which will be in today. HBO's "Blood" numbers will be in tomorrow.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot in TV
- Dakota Johnson Compares 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Sex Scenes to Acrobatics!
- Eva Longoria: The Way Child Refugee Crisis Is Being Handled is Un-American
- Brit Marling's First Movie She Remembers Seeing is 'Princess Bride'
- 24's Kiefer Sutherland & Last Ship's Eric Dane Present Their Shows at Comic-Con 2014!