Tony Awards sink against towering NBA Finals
Related: 'Red,' 'Memphis' top Tony Awards
Sunday night's 64th Annual Tony Awards on CBS sank in the ratings, breaking a streak of major awards presentations improving on broadcast this year.
The Tony's drew 7 million viewers and a slender 1.2 preliminary rating among adults 18-49, down 8% from last year. Still, that's not as weak as 2008, which managed to draw a 1.1 rating.
The telecast ran against ABC's presentation of Game 5 of the NBA Finals, which was up 36% this year.
The LA Lakers at Boston Celtics match drew a 12.8 overnight household rating -- the highest of the series so far and marking the top-rated NBA Finals Game 5 since 2004.
The numbers for HBO's "True Blood" and the finale of AMC's "Breaking Bad" are certainly of interest, too. AMC special ordered fast nationals from Nielsen, which will be in today. HBO's "Blood" numbers will be in tomorrow.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)