World's smallest 'Star Trek' Enterprise (pic)
Two Japanese scientists have constructed a model of the USS Enterprise at one-billionth scale.
The award-winning model, dubbed "Nano Trek," is so small, it can only be seen with an electron microscope. The model was constructed with a focused ion beam using phenanthrene gas, a process called "chemical vapor deposition." The ship is 8.8 micometers in length.
Nothing quite like taking the world's most advanced nanotechnology and using it to express classic sci-fi geekdom.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)