Darren Aronofsky Faces Off Against Film Critic
He fires back at New York Film Critics Circle Chairman Armond White for his harsh review of 'Black Swan.'
Monday night's New York Film Critics Circle Awards got semi-heated when Black Swan director Darren Aronofsky exchanged words with chairman Armond White.White, the film critic for the New York Press, had previously accused Aronofsky's Swan of "ethnic denial" and even said Kanye West's video for "Runaway" was better than the critically-praised ballerina horror film, Gawker points out. When Aronofsky presented an honor to his cinematographer, he sniped at White: "Keep it up, because you give us all another reason not to read New York Press." Later, he said, "Sorry, it's my only chance to get back. Now it's done." White didn't let Aronofsky's remark got unnoticed. "That's all right. Darren reads me. That's all I want," he responded. "And because he reads me, he knows the truth." At the end of the evening, The Kids Are All Right’s Annette Bening called for peace when she accepted her award for best actress, reports Gawker. The site quotes an attendee as saying that Bening "tearfully came close to lecturing critics for being mean."
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Covering The Race
Lead Awards Blogger & Analyst
Scott, whose THR coverage appears both in print and online, is one of the film industry's most experienced and trusted awards analysts, and possesses one of the strongest track records at forecasting the Oscars. His best showings came in 2006 and 2013, when he called 21 of 24 winners; he was also the only pundit to project long-shot best picture nominations for The Reader (2008), The Blind Side (2009) and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011). An alumnus of Brandeis University, he previously ran "The Feinberg Files" blog for the Los Angeles Times. He is now a voting member of both the Broadcast Film Critics Association and the Broadcast Television Journalists Association, and is writing a book about film history for young people for which he has interviewed more than 350 high-profile Hollywood figures.
Gregg contributes awards news, features online, and "The Race" column in print.
Tim contributes awards news and features, both in print and online.
- Neon Hitch's New Single 'Yard Sale' - Listen Now! (Exclusive Premiere)
- Gwyneth Paltrow Steps Out in East Hampton for 'Hector and the Search for Happiness' Screening!
- Bradley Cooper & Sienna Miller Begin Filming Their Second Movie Together, 'Adam Jones'!
- Sam Heughan & Caitriona Balfe Are Picture Perfect at 'Outlander' Screening