Paramount's 'Jackass 3' Oscar Ad: The Crucial Missing Quote
Jackass 3 just got a campaign ad for 11 Oscars, with no-joke actual critic quotes -- but they left out the best one. Here it is, for your consideration.
"Hope it made y'all laugh your asses off," star Johnny Knoxville tweeted when Jackass 3D opened in October. Now asses are laughing at the $117 million prankfest's Oscar ad, ahead of its March 8 DVD release (minus the 3D since it isn't -- don't try 3D at home, kids).
The real quote from the New York Times invokes Bunuel; the Boston Globe namechecks Avatar -- and in the original Wesley Morris review, Chaplin, Keaton, Sennett and the Three Stooges.
Plus, Morris offers this far superior encomium: "Would have made me cry were I not already laughing while suppressing the urge to vomit."
"That's a good quote," says a Paramount source who very much hopes it gets added to the ad. This is the perfect film for Oscar-voter "Steak Eaters."
As long as they aren't eating.
Follow THR's The Race Awards blog on Twitter: @timappelo.
Feedback, brickbats, shameless lobbying to: Tim.Appelo@thr.com.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Covering The Race
Lead Awards Blogger & Analyst
Scott, whose THR coverage appears both in print and online, is one of the film industry's most experienced and trusted awards analysts, and possesses one of the strongest track records at forecasting the Oscars. His best showings came in 2006 and 2013, when he called 21 of 24 winners; he was also the only pundit to project long-shot best picture nominations for The Reader (2008), The Blind Side (2009) and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011). An alumnus of Brandeis University, he previously ran "The Feinberg Files" blog for the Los Angeles Times. He is now a voting member of both the Broadcast Film Critics Association and the Broadcast Television Journalists Association, and is writing a book about film history for young people for which he has interviewed more than 350 high-profile Hollywood figures.
Gregg contributes awards news, features online, and "The Race" column in print.
Tim contributes awards news and features, both in print and online.
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Robert Davi: Singing the Songs He Loves in a Place He Loves
- Sleepy Hollow's Tom Mison & Nicole Beharie Take San Diego Comic-Con by Storm
- Chloe Moretz Wins Fans Favorite Actress Award at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- Ian Somerhalder: 'The Vampire Diaries' Wins Best Threesome at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- Nikki Reed & Kellan Lutz Have a 'Twilight' Reunion at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!