America Ferrera, Matt Groening, THR's Todd McCarthy on Sundance Film Festival Juries
The Sundance Institute on Monday announced members of five juries awarding prizes at the upcoming Sundance Film Festival, which runs Jan. 20-30.
In addition, the 2011 Sundance Film Festival Awards will be hosted by Tim Blake Nelson (O Brother Where Art Thou?) at the Basin Recreation Field House in Park City on Jan. 29. All awards will be announced that night. The short film awards also will be named earlier at a Jan. 25 ceremony at Park City's Jupiter Bowl.
The U.S. documentary jury is comprised of director Jeffrey Blitz (Rocket Science), The Simpsons creator Matt Groening, helmer Laura Poitras (My Country, My Country), editor Sloane Kevin (Taxi to the Dark Side) and Jess Search, chief executive of the Channel 4 BRITDOC Foundation.
On the U.S. dramatic jury is America Ferrara, The Hollywood Reporter chief film critic Todd McCarthy, cinematographer Tim Orr (Pineapple Express) and directors Kimberly Peirce (Boys Don't Cry) and Jason Reitman (Juno).
The world documentary jury is comprised of writer-producer-director Jose Padilha (Elite Squad); Mette Hoffmann Meyer, head of documentaries and co-productions at Danish DR TV; and documentarian Lucy Walker (Devil's Playground).
The world dramatic jury includes director Susanne Bier (Better World); writer-director Bong Joon-Ho (Dogs Never Bite); and Rajendra Roy, chief curator of the Department of Film at the Museum of Modern Art.
The Alfred P. Sloan Prize, now in its ninth year, is awarded each year to a feature film that focuses on science or technology as a theme, or depicts a scientist, engineer, or mathematician as a major character. The jury members are English film director Jon Amiel (The Singing Detective); Paula S. Apsel, senior executive producer for NOVA and director of the WGBH Science Unit; Sean Carroll, theoreetical physicist at the California Institute of Technology; Rutgers University anthropologist Helen Fisher; and actor-director Clark Gregg (The New Adventures of Old Christine).
On the short film jury are writer-director Barry Jenkins (Medicine for Melancholy), film and culture writer Kim Morgan and HBO Documentary Films vp Sara Bernstein.
More information can be found at www.sundance.org/festival.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- 'Family Guy'/'Simpsons' Crossover Episode Sneak Peek Is Pure Bliss
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Amanda Seyfried's Boyfriend Justin Long Almost Gets Tusks Sewn Into His Head in 'Tusk' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Naomi Watts Is In Talks to Star in Jake Gyllenhaal's 'Demolition'
- Kesha Gets Picked Up By Boyfriend Brad Ashenfelter at LAX Airport
- Sleepy Hollow's Tom Mison & Nicole Beharie Take San Diego Comic-Con by Storm