BULLSEYE, Jan. 7: 'Witch,' 'Dilemma,' 'Sanctum,' 'Hornet,' More
See where audience interest is leading into the weekend.
While the late-year box office featured a lot of activity, the first weekend of 2011 should prove much sleepier in terms of new blood at theaters. The Flixster Bullseye for the Jan. 7 weekend is below.
Relativity's Season of the Witch is the only wide opener, competing with a slew of strong holdovers (such as True Grit and The Fighter) and an expansion of Screen Gems' Country Strong. Most eyes are on how grosses will help or hurt awards momentum, but there is no such concern attached to the Nic Cage actioner.
[Click the image for a larger picture.]
Its bubble is the biggest of the bunch, but it's skewing well into the older male quadrant of the grid with only medium-level interest from the curious. It could open in the $15-17 million range, though Cage is never to be counted out no matter how questionable the material looks (Summit's Knowing from 2009 opened to $25 million).
Here's Pamela McClintock's box-office preview for the weekend for added analysis.
- Asylum Film Or Children's Book With Tara Reid And Ian Ziering, Stars of 'Sharknado 2'
- Maggie Gyllenhaal Explains How Batman Is Like Pussy Riot
- (VIDEO) Multi-Channel Network Collective Digital Studio Launches New Content for Purina
- Watch #AOLBUILD Live Stream Featuring Aubrey Plaza, Dane Dehaan and @LifeAftrBeth Director Jeff Baena
- Justin Bieber Shares Photo of Orlando Bloom's Ex-Wife Miranda Kerr After Fight Video Surfaces
- Charlie Hunnam Makes Up For Missing Comic-Con in Funny Video - Watch Now!
- Zoe Saldana Hides Baby Bump in Black Dress at 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Screening
- Elizabeth Banks: 'I'm Very Genetically Blessed, I Cannot Deny It'