BULLSEYE, Jan. 7: 'Witch,' 'Dilemma,' 'Sanctum,' 'Hornet,' More
See where audience interest is leading into the weekend.
While the late-year box office featured a lot of activity, the first weekend of 2011 should prove much sleepier in terms of new blood at theaters. The Flixster Bullseye for the Jan. 7 weekend is below.
Relativity's Season of the Witch is the only wide opener, competing with a slew of strong holdovers (such as True Grit and The Fighter) and an expansion of Screen Gems' Country Strong. Most eyes are on how grosses will help or hurt awards momentum, but there is no such concern attached to the Nic Cage actioner.
[Click the image for a larger picture.]
Its bubble is the biggest of the bunch, but it's skewing well into the older male quadrant of the grid with only medium-level interest from the curious. It could open in the $15-17 million range, though Cage is never to be counted out no matter how questionable the material looks (Summit's Knowing from 2009 opened to $25 million).
Here's Pamela McClintock's box-office preview for the weekend for added analysis.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game