BULLSEYE, Jan. 7: 'Witch,' 'Dilemma,' 'Sanctum,' 'Hornet,' More
See where audience interest is leading into the weekend.
While the late-year box office featured a lot of activity, the first weekend of 2011 should prove much sleepier in terms of new blood at theaters. The Flixster Bullseye for the Jan. 7 weekend is below.
Relativity's Season of the Witch is the only wide opener, competing with a slew of strong holdovers (such as True Grit and The Fighter) and an expansion of Screen Gems' Country Strong. Most eyes are on how grosses will help or hurt awards momentum, but there is no such concern attached to the Nic Cage actioner.
[Click the image for a larger picture.]
Its bubble is the biggest of the bunch, but it's skewing well into the older male quadrant of the grid with only medium-level interest from the curious. It could open in the $15-17 million range, though Cage is never to be counted out no matter how questionable the material looks (Summit's Knowing from 2009 opened to $25 million).
Here's Pamela McClintock's box-office preview for the weekend for added analysis.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!
- Will Smith Posted This Awesome Photo for Jada's 43rd Birthday!