Jason Segel to Play 'Undercover Cop' for DreamWorks (Exclusive)
Jason Micallef is writing the real-life based period comedy, which Steven Zaillian will produce.
Jason Segel as an '80s-era undercover cop? It's almost too perfect.
That's the premise of a new comedy project called Undercover Cop that DreamWorks Studios is putting together with Steven Zaillian's Film Rites banner. Film Rites exec Garrett Basch brought the idea to the studio, where the company has a first-look production deal, and will serve as an executive producer on the film.
Jason Micallef has been hired to write the screenplay, with Segel attached to star and Zaillian producing.
DreamWorks isn't revealing the plot, but the laugher is inspired by the true story of a former cop that infiltrated the New Jersey criminal underworld in the era of feathered hair, zipper jackets and "Born in the U.S.A." The studio, whose I Am Number Four hits theaters Feb. 18, now has a number of comedies in development (Forever 21, Home Movies, Reply All) even as its forthcoming slate focuses on big-budget sci-fi and drama.
Segel, who is repped by WME and Abrams Entertainment, is in the process of wrapping the November Disney release The Muppets, which he also co-wrote. He will also soon be on screen in the Sony comedy Bad Teacher in June.
Film Rites is producing American remakes of the Red Riding trilogy for Sony, as well as the forthcoming thriller The Cold Light of Day for Summit and the thriller Time Crimes at DreamWorks, which the WME-repped Zaillian is re-writing. Zaillian recently adapted The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo for director David Fincher and Sony, and he is negotiating to tune up the script for Paramount's Jack Ryan franchise reboot, which is scheduled to shoot in a few months.
Micallef, who is repped by WME and Underground Films, wrote the original comedy Butter, which The Weinstein Company is producing with Michael De Luca for potential release this year.
- Before 'Game Of Thrones,' Pedro Pascal Was Getting His Ass Kicked On 'Buffy'
- Drew Barrymore Adds Fragrances To Flower Beauty Collection Making Us All Smell Better
- Guy Covers Every Single Part Of 'Prince Ali' From 'Aladdin'
- The Dumbest But Also Greatest Lyrics From Destiny's Child's 'Writings On The Wall'
- Orange Is the New Black’s Barbara Rosenblat on Playing Miss Rosa and Being ‘the Meryl Streep of Audiobooks’
- Why Are Movies the Only Kind of Entertainment We Still Have to Wait Around For?
- 7 Times Vin Diesel Gave a Wooden Performance (Before He Played a Tree in Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Chris Messina Is a Huge Cheater in This New Sam Smith Video
- Cate Blanchett Desperately Wanted to Play a Dwarf & Wear a Beard
- Katy Perry Sang for the President & First Lady Last Night at the White House!
- Kerry Washington & Jimmy Kimmel Bond Over Their Newborn Baby Girls!
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Opens Huge, Scores Biggest Thursday Evening Opening of the Year!