SUNDANCE: Buzz Grows Around 'Margin Call,' 'The Guard'
Early screenings provoke potential sales activity.
PARK CITY -- Two early Sundance films are already drawing interest from buyers, as the festival dealmaking got jumpstarted Friday.
Both Margin Call and The Guard screened to enthusiastic audiences filled with a who's-who of acquisition execs from distributors major and minor.
No deals have been made, but sources say several offers have already come in for Margin Call, a financial thriller starring Kevin Spacey, Jeremy Irons, Zachary Quinto and Paul Bettany that was given a sneak peek to press and industry on Friday morning. The Weinstein Co., Phase 4, Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions and Focus, among others, were represented -- some execs even got turned away.
The film is being represented domestically by UTA, Cassian Elwes and Untitled and internationally by Myriad Pictures. It's screening in the festival’s Premieres section, with its first public screening coming Tuesday night.
The Guard, repped domestically by UTA and internationally by Metropolis International Sales, is the story of a small-town Irish cop who becomes embroiled in an FBI agent’s efforts to bust a drug trafficking ring. The dark comedy, which stars Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle, was screened Thursday night to open the festival’s World Cinema Dramatic Competition.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch
- Elizabeth Banks Dishes on 'Pitch Perfect 2': The Bellas Have Gotten Too Big for Their Britches
- Evan Rachel Wood Has the Coolest Backpack Ever Because It Looks Like R2D2!
- Hercules' Irina Shayk Leaves Craig Ferguson Speechless - Watch Now
- Leonardo DiCaprio Tries to Keep Low Profile After Raising $25 Million