SUNDANCE: Magnolia and Participant Grab New York Times Documentary 'Page One'
The U.S. documentary competition film had its world premiere Sunday evening at the Temple Theatre.
Magnolia Pictures and Participant Media have partnered to purchase U.S. rights to Page One: A Year Inside The New York Times, a documentary that takes a behind-the-scenes look at the venerable national newspaper. Magnolia will release the film theatrically this year with a concurrent social action campaign driven by Participant.
Page One had its world premiere Sunday evening at the Temple Theatre as part of the festival’s U.S. documentary competition program. The film goes inside the newsroom in 2010, capturing a tumultuous year of journalism.
Andrew Rossi directed the movie, which he wrote and produced with Kate Novack. Josh Braun, Adam Schlesinger and Alan Oxman produced the film, and Daniel Stern and Dan Pine served as executive producers.
"Page One is a fascinating, unprecedented peek behind the curtain into what ends up being considered 'news,'" said Magnolia president Eamonn Bowles. "Andrew Rossi and his team have delivered not only a vital, compelling story, but also an incredibly impressive aesthetic achievement."
Participant president Ricky Strauss added: “We’re delighted to be reteaming with our friends at Magnolia to bring this fascinating film to audiences and extend the conversation on the responsibility of the media through what will be a robust Social Action Campaign.”
Braun also repped the sale for the filmmakers through his company Submarine during all-night negotiations with Magnolia exec Tom Quinn and Diane Weyermann, Jeff Ivers and Strauss from Participant. Victoria Cook provided legal services.
Magnolia and Participant have collaborated on the films Casino Jack and Countdown to Zero, among others.
Magnolia, the theatrical and home entertainment wing of the Wagner/Cuban Companies, has recently released Man on Wire, Two Lovers, I Am Love, Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer and All Good Things. The company will next roll out Max Winkler’s Ceremony.
Participant's recent releases include The Visitor, The Cove, Waiting for "Superman” and Fair Game.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game