SUNDANCE: Sony Acquires Morgan Spurlock's 'Greatest Movie Ever Sold'
11:11 AM PST 1/20/2011 by THR staff
The meta-documentary opens in the U.S. in April.
Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions has acquired U.S. and Canadian rights to Morgan Spurlock’s The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, it was announced Thursday by SPWA president Steve Bersch.The Hollywood Reporter first reported that Sony was in active pursuit of the meta-docu which looks at product placement, branding and advertising in entertainment, with an eye toward making a pre-emptive buy before the movie's world premiere Saturday at the Sundance Film Festival. Sony Pictures Classics, Sony's specialty division, will release the film in the U.S. in April. In addition to directing, Spurlock wrote the movie with Jeremy Chilnik. It was produced by Spurlock, Chilnik and Abbie Hurewitz through Spurlock's production company, Warrior Poets, alongside Snoot Entertainment producers Keith Calder and Jessica Wu. The deal was made by SPWA's Scott Shooman and Michael Helfand with CAA.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Weekend of 09/12/2014
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!
- Will Smith Posted This Awesome Photo for Jada's 43rd Birthday!
Weekend Box Office
For the weekend of 09/12/2014 Source: Rentrak