SUNDANCE: Sony Acquires Morgan Spurlock's 'Greatest Movie Ever Sold'
11:11 AM PST 1/20/2011 by THR staff
The meta-documentary opens in the U.S. in April.
Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions has acquired U.S. and Canadian rights to Morgan Spurlock’s The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, it was announced Thursday by SPWA president Steve Bersch.The Hollywood Reporter first reported that Sony was in active pursuit of the meta-docu which looks at product placement, branding and advertising in entertainment, with an eye toward making a pre-emptive buy before the movie's world premiere Saturday at the Sundance Film Festival. Sony Pictures Classics, Sony's specialty division, will release the film in the U.S. in April. In addition to directing, Spurlock wrote the movie with Jeremy Chilnik. It was produced by Spurlock, Chilnik and Abbie Hurewitz through Spurlock's production company, Warrior Poets, alongside Snoot Entertainment producers Keith Calder and Jessica Wu. The deal was made by SPWA's Scott Shooman and Michael Helfand with CAA.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Weekend of 02/28/2014
Weekend Box Office
For the weekend of 02/28/2014 Source: Rentrak