Viacom COO Touts 'TMNT' and 'G.I. Joe,' 'Zoolander' Sequels for Not-Too-Distant Future
On an earnings call Thursday, the Viacom exec pointed to future film hopefuls.
On the company's earnings call today, Viacom COO Tom Dooley noted a few projects that the company is looking to produce for release beyond next September.
Star Trek 2 was already known. It has a release date of June 29, 2012 and Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof are hammering out the script as we speak. They're supposed to deliver it by the holidays. J.J. Abrams, who is producing, hasn't committed to climbing back into the director's chair, but the studio definitely wants him. (He's working hard on Super 8, which Paramount has slotted for June.)
The other projects Dooley mentioned were a second G.I. Joe movie that Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick are writing and the Jack Ryan reboot that Jack Bender is directing.
More surprising, he listed a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie (the company spent $60 million to acquire global and merchandising rights to the franchise a year ago for its Nickelodeon label). Michael Bay and his Platinum Dunes banner have been developing a screenplay with writers Art Marcum and Matt Holloway.
And blissful news for Derek Zoolander fans: Dooley also included the Zoolander sequel that Justin Theroux is writing for himself to direct. Sounds like Ben Stiller could be back on the runway as the really, really ridiculously good-looking model sooner rather than later.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Morgan Freeman And Jimmy Fallon Talking On Helium Will Make Your Day
- Conversations with Billy Gilman, Ernest Ranglin, Mary Sarah and Gangstagrass' Rench, Plus Ben Jaimen's "Satellites" Exclusive
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!