Appeals Court Strikes Down FCC Fine For Infamous Super Bowl 'Wardrobe Malfunction'
A three-judge 3rd Circuit federal appeals court panel has tossed out the $550,000 indecency fine against CBS for the 2004 Super Bowl half-time show that ended with Janet Jackson baring her breast. The justices ruled that the FCC "acted arbitrarily and capriciously" with its punishment. Here's the ruling.
The fine resulted from a FCC rule that bars U.S. television and radio broadcasters from airing obscene material between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., when children are likely to be watching. Ninety million TV viewers tuned in during the live 2004 Super Bowl "wardrobe malfunction."
CBS paid the fine but later appealed. The FCC has made a point of cracking down on indecency in broadcasting, and broadcasters have argued in this case and other cases that involved fleeting expletives that the FCC's guidelines and punishments are arbitrary.
The ruling today represents affirmation of that stance.
"Moreover, the FCC cannot impose liability on CBS for the acts of Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake, independent contractors hired for the limited purposes of the Halftime Show..," wrote Chief Judge Anthony Scirica for the three-judge panel that heard the case.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch
- Ian Somerhalder & Nikki Reed Get Cleaned Up at Her House After Sweaty Workout
- Kit Harington & Nikolaj Coster Waldau Make Us Laugh With 'Game of Thrones' Bloopers Reel - Watch Now!
- Lea Michele & Boyfriend Matthew Paetz Roll Up Their Jeans For LAX Landing
- Channing Tatum Joins Rapper Biz Markie For 'Just a Friend' Performance During Comic-Con Panel - Watch Now!