Ari Emanuel Argues Over Piracy at Web Summit (Video)
Check out this video of William Morris Endeavor's Ari Emanuel, who went into the valley of the beast -- Silicon Valley, to be exact -- and knocked the Obama administration hard for not moving "more aggressively" to combat piracy. Emanuel said he even told his brother, former Obama chief of staff Rahm Emanuel, not to come to him expecting a big book advance because piracy had eroded book sales too much.
Ari was questioned by Web 2.0 Summit organizer and tech book publisher Tim O'Reilly about whether Hollywood is pricing its content appropriately in the new digital age. The two then get into an argument about what's fair. Emanuel focuses on the basic illegitimacy of theft. O'Reilly hits back that Hollywood's business model is all wrong.
"Really, you're telling me that everybody will pay you if it's a fair price," Emanuel said. "You got to stop drinking so much wine. That is crazy! That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard."
The exchange is pretty amusing.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Cameron Diaz & Benji Madden Enjoy Romantic Seaside Getaway in Italy - See the Pics!
- Obsessed with Beyonce's 'Crazy in Love' From 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Trailer? Boots Explains Reworking the Song with Bey!
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson & Irina Shayk Crush Into Hollywood with 'Hercules' Premiere!
- Game of Thrones' Kit Harington & Rose Leslie Keep Close at LAX