Bizarre lawsuit claims Dr. Phil held woman captive with naked man
9:59 AM PDT 10/8/2009 by Eriq Gardner
One of the strangest lawsuits we've seen in awhile has been filed against Dr. Phil, claiming he falsely imprisoned and "brainwashed" a California woman.
In a crazy-sounding complaint filed yesterday in Los Angeles Superior Court, Shirley Dieu claims that she was held captive by "Dr. Phil" McGraw on October 11, 2007 in a residence on Santa Monica Blvd. She says that the building was surrounded by 12-feet walls and fences, restraining her from trying to escape. During the alleged captivity, Dieu says she was "forced to be in the same room with a completely naked live man while he exposed his entire naked body, genitals and all" (paranoid underlining not ours).
Dieu claims personal and mental injuries and cites "brainwashing" as a cause of action too, having been programmed to believe she was getting real therapy from a real licensed doctor. We're pretty sure "brainwashing" isn't a legitimate cause of action, and if that's not weird enough, Dieu also says that Dr. Phil touched her on her left breast during a therapy session two days earlier.
It's probably not a shock that the woman is representing herself in court. But whether Dr. Phil is really a licensed doctor and whether his license has been revoked for having a sexual relationship with a teenage client has been subject to a lot of Internet chatter.
Last year, a complaint was filed against the talk show host with the California Board of Psychology claiming that Dr. Phil was practicing without a license when he got involved in the hospitalization of Britney Spears. Dr. Phil's "practice" was examined in a column for The New York TImes and reportedly, participants who go on his show sign a contract that includes a provision that he is not actually medically treating them.
CBS, which distributes his show, did not respond immediately to a request for comment.
- Before 'Game Of Thrones,' Pedro Pascal Was Getting His Ass Kicked On 'Buffy'
- Drew Barrymore Adds Fragrances To Flower Beauty Collection Making Us All Smell Better
- Guy Covers Every Single Part Of 'Prince Ali' From 'Aladdin'
- The Dumbest But Also Greatest Lyrics From Destiny's Child's 'Writings On The Wall'
- Orange Is the New Black’s Barbara Rosenblat on Playing Miss Rosa and Being ‘the Meryl Streep of Audiobooks’
- Why Are Movies the Only Kind of Entertainment We Still Have to Wait Around For?
- 7 Times Vin Diesel Gave a Wooden Performance (Before He Played a Tree in Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Chris Messina Is a Huge Cheater in This New Sam Smith Video
- Cate Blanchett Desperately Wanted to Play a Dwarf & Wear a Beard
- Katy Perry Sang for the President & First Lady Last Night at the White House!
- Kerry Washington & Jimmy Kimmel Bond Over Their Newborn Baby Girls!
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Opens Huge, Scores Biggest Thursday Evening Opening of the Year!
Weekend Box Office
For the weekend of 07/25/2014 Source: Rentrak