Bret Michaels files $5 million lawsuit against concert promoter
Now, the rocker and "Celebrity Apprentice" winner, fuming from the incident, has just filed a $5 million lawsuit against the concert promoter who allegedly claimed that the show didn't happen because Michaels was going to appear on TV instead.
Around the same time that Michaels was scheduled to perform in Syracuse, he appeared on NBC's "America's Got Talent." Can a modern-day rock star appear at two locations at the same time? Thanks to the wonders of technology, he can. The TV show was taped.
So on Monday, Michaels sued Michael Banks and Aloha Events for breaching his contract and exposing him to public contempt and ridicule with allegedly defamatory statements about his schedule.
According to the complaint filed in U.S. District Court in New York, Michaels was set to perform in Syracuse on Aug. 5. He says that although he was not paid his first 10% deposit nor a second 40% deposit, he arrived to perform as scheduled.
But the rocker showed up only to find no stage, no sound and no lights.
Banks allegedly started saying that a TV appearance by Michaels caused the concert's postponement. Fans started besieging a local news outlet with the story and demanding refunds. Reportedly, the New York State Attorney General's office was contacted.
Michaels now seems to think that the concert promoter backed out because of financial issues. He told New York's WSYR-TV, "You don't just go: 'Hey I don't feel like paying anybody.' I think with a guy like Mike, he bit off more than he could chew."
Michaels is now going to court to show he's not to blame. In the lawsuit, he asserts $75,000 in breach of contract damages, and at least $5 million for Banks' allegedly defamatory statements. Banks couldn't be reached for comment.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack