Britney Spears' Mom Loses Defamation Appeal; Court Rules Ex-Manager Isn't 'Libel-Proof'
Britney Spears' mom has lost an effort to convince a California Court of Appeal to toss a defamation claim made by Britney's former manager.
Sam Lutfi, who repped the pop star for about five months in 2007-08, sued Lynne Spears over comments in her 2008 book, Through the Storm: A Real Story of Fame and Family in a Tabloid World. The elder Spears painted a portrait of Lutfi as a predatory Svengali-type who drugged Britney and served as a gatekeeper for all others. Specifically, the book referred to Lufti as a "predator," a "fake" and a "shifty" man, and accused him of "planning evil" and using paparazzi as his "henchmen."
Spears attempted to have the case tossed at the trial court using Calfiornia's strong free speech laws, and when the judge ruled against her, she argued on appeal that the trial court erred when it didn't dismiss the defamation cause of action on a libel-proof claim (the legal theory being that Lutfi's reputation was so bad that he essentially couldn't be defamed). But the appeals court has now rejected that argument, so the case goes back to the trial court.
Lutfi was repped on the appeal by attorney Joe Schleimer. Michael Adler and Joel Tantalo are representing Spears.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!