Former 'Dora the Explorer' Settles Lawsuit Against Nickelodeon
14-year-old Caitlin Sanchez had alleged she was forced to sign an "unconscionable" contract and that she was cut out of promised compensation.
Nickelodeon, MTV Networks and Viacom have extracted themselves from a highly public lawsuit brought by a 14-year-old who was fired from voicing Dora the Explorer after she reached puberty.
According to John Balestriere, the attorney for former Dora voice Caitlin Sanchez, her multimillion dollar lawsuit against the producers is over. "After discussions, the lawsuit was withdrawn," says Balestriere, adding he can't go into details because of an agreement among the parties.
In October, Sanchez sued Nickelodeon, claiming she was forced to sign an "unconscionable" contract, and was given just 22 minutes to sign a deal to voice Dora without an experienced lawyer or lose the gig. Sanchez also claimed that reps from the network had promised her substantial compensation from merchandising and residuals, but later cut her out and underpaid her for her work.
The dispute got ugly, with Balestriere threatening to reveal embarrassing details about Nickelodeon. Since then, the dispute has grown more quiet until Friday.
"After discussion, the suit has been withdrawn," says David Bittler, a spokesperson for Nickelodeon. "We have always felt, and continue to feel, that Caitlin is a very talented performer. Our intention was always that Caitlin complete the episodes on which she worked and we are pleased that she has agreed to do so.”
Nickelodeon didn't comment on any possible financial considerations that led to its resolution.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
- Katherine Heigl & Kate Walsh Celebrate NBC's New TV Season
- Lauren Conrad's Wedding Dress Revealed in 1st Wedding Photo to William Tell - See it Here!
- Kristen Bell Puts Pregnancy Style on Display for Samsung Ad!
- Kat Graham Speaks at 'Vampire Diaries' Vegas Convention Before Season Six Premiere Photos Released