EXCLUSIVE: Gerard Butler Sued By Evil Twin for $2M
If there's any actor who should be able to pick the name of his production company without getting into legal trouble, it's Gerard Butler, right?
Butler, after all, was briefly a lawyer before going on to star in 300, Phantom of the Opera and Law Abiding Citizen .
But he's been sued for trademark infringement over the name of his production company.
Here's the beef: Butler and business partner Alan Siegel named their shingle Evil Twins. But there's another Hollywood company operating under the banner Evil Twin Prods.
According to the complaint, filed yesterday in federal court in Los Angeles, Evil Twin Prods was started by Kristen Armfield and Harri Mark in 1996. They have a registered trademark on "Evil Twin." According to Evil Twin's website, the entity has worked on promotional TV spots for High School Musical 3, The Dark Knight, and Coldplay's last album.
The lawsuit claims that Butler and Siegel announced their Evil Twins Entertainment in March 2008. Ever since then, the first Evil Twins says there's been confusion in the marketplace and it has received correspondence and telephone calls intended for Butler's Evil Twins.
The complaint also says that Butler has been made aware of the controversy and posted a note on his website: "DO NOT contact other Evil Twins or Evil Twin companies listed in Los Angeles."
The current version of Butler's website only admonishes people that there "is no 'productions', 'films' or any other words in the title of" his company.
The plaintiff is demanding an injunction and either actual damages or $2 million in statutory damages for alleged unfair competition.
Siegel had this to say: "We received notice of the lawsuit today, are reviewing it thoroughly and are looking forward to a prompt resolution so that we can continue to focus on several exciting projects under development in our company.”
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Ted Nugent Show Canceled After Native-American Tribe Hears About Rocker's 'Racist And Hate-Filled Remarks'
- Stephen Colbert Asks Nancy Pelosi If She Has Naked Pictures Of John Boehner
- Even Government Agencies Play The 'Kim Kardashian: Hollywood' Game, And Here's Proof
- Jon Stewart Learns What Happens When You Criticize Israel