Hollywood Docket: 'Catcher in the Rye' Sequel Banned from U.S.
10:18 AM PST 12/16/2010 by Eriq Gardner
- The unauthorized sequel to J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye will be permanently banned from publication in the U.S. Last July, a federal judge issued a preliminary injunction against a Swedish author's book, titled 60 Years Later: Coming Through the Rye, for violating Salinger's copyright. The case was appealed and attracted a number of amicus briefs from media organizations, including The New York Times and AP, which argued it would be a bad precedent against free speech. But the parties have now settled the case. According to a consent agreement, the defendant has agreed to a permanent injunction with no further appeals.
- The family of a seven-year-old girl killed during the filming of the A&E reality show The First 48 Hours is suing the cable network for violating the 4th and 14th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution, covering privacy and due process, respectively. The plaintiffs contend "Defendants' desire to create a sensational television show consistent with the conceptual premise of the 'First 48' directly and proximately caused the injuries in this case." [Read the complaint]
- Now onto lighter news: Paris Hilton is being sued for $200,000 for breaching a contract where she agreed to "review and respond" to an Italian fashion company's designs for a Paris Hilton line of clothing. Hilton not living up to responsibilities? Who saw that coming? [CNS]
- In fairness to Ms. Hilton, she may not be alone. Actor Michael Madsen is being sued for allegedly bailing on an agreement to star in the film Vigilante. [TMZ]
- The documentary Exit Through the Gift Shop has been shortlisted for an Oscar, but if it gets nominated, the film directed by the legendary street artist Banksy is going to raise a lot of questions about authenticity in documentaries as well as provide some intrigue around whether Banksy himself will show up at the ceremonies. [LAT]
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
- Adam Levine Leaves His Heart in Los Angeles
- Kourtney Kardashian's Sister Khloe Blames Her for Her Weight Gain - Find Out Why!
- Alexander Koch Takes Us Inside the Dome for JJ Spotlight! (Behind the Scenes Photos)
- Jessica Simpson Looks Very Skinny in Her Sheer Skirt & Bodysuit Combo for Eric Johnson's Birthday
Weekend Box Office
For the weekend of 09/12/2014 Source: Rentrak