Hollywood Docket: 'Catcher in the Rye' Sequel Banned from U.S.
10:18 AM PST 12/16/2010 by Eriq Gardner
- The unauthorized sequel to J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye will be permanently banned from publication in the U.S. Last July, a federal judge issued a preliminary injunction against a Swedish author's book, titled 60 Years Later: Coming Through the Rye, for violating Salinger's copyright. The case was appealed and attracted a number of amicus briefs from media organizations, including The New York Times and AP, which argued it would be a bad precedent against free speech. But the parties have now settled the case. According to a consent agreement, the defendant has agreed to a permanent injunction with no further appeals.
- The family of a seven-year-old girl killed during the filming of the A&E reality show The First 48 Hours is suing the cable network for violating the 4th and 14th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution, covering privacy and due process, respectively. The plaintiffs contend "Defendants' desire to create a sensational television show consistent with the conceptual premise of the 'First 48' directly and proximately caused the injuries in this case." [Read the complaint]
- Now onto lighter news: Paris Hilton is being sued for $200,000 for breaching a contract where she agreed to "review and respond" to an Italian fashion company's designs for a Paris Hilton line of clothing. Hilton not living up to responsibilities? Who saw that coming? [CNS]
- In fairness to Ms. Hilton, she may not be alone. Actor Michael Madsen is being sued for allegedly bailing on an agreement to star in the film Vigilante. [TMZ]
- The documentary Exit Through the Gift Shop has been shortlisted for an Oscar, but if it gets nominated, the film directed by the legendary street artist Banksy is going to raise a lot of questions about authenticity in documentaries as well as provide some intrigue around whether Banksy himself will show up at the ceremonies. [LAT]
What Hollywood Earns
Weekend Box Office
For the weekend of 12/19/2014 Source: Rentrak
- Mark Wahlberg Flashes Butt to Wife Rhea Durham in the Ocean!
- Orlando Bloom Shows Off His Soaking Wet Shirtless Body on the Beach with a Mystery Blonde!
- Mel B Addresses Rumors That Her Husband Stephen Belafonte Abused Her
- Jessica Biel & Justin Timberlake Make a Rare Public Appearance Together at the Airport