Hollywood Docket: Courtney Love settles Nirvana dispute; RIAA writes Google; Cameron Diaz is dangerous
11:03 AM PST 12/21/2010 by Matt Belloni
- Thirteen trade groups including the RIAA and AFTRA have sent a joint letter to Google in reaction to the Google/Verizon net neutrality proposal. The groups say they are "deeply interested" in the details of the proposal, particularly in the way a new policy would effect measures to crack down on copyright infringement. [Read the letter]
- Courtney Love has settled her legal dispute with London & Co. over rights to Nirvana's back catalog. The singer sold rights for more than $20 million, but the deal was disputed by London & Co., which claimed part ownership. Details of the settlement haven't been disclosed. [AP]
- Hip-hop star Wyclef Jean isn't on the list of approved candidates for Haiti's presidential election. [Reuters]
- News Corp. is defending its decision to give $1 million to the Republican Governors Association, saying it will have no bearing on its newsgathering and that RGA's pro-business agenda will be beneficial. [Washington Post[
- Madonna is being sued by a clothing company alleging it owns the trademark rights to "Material Girl." [TMZ]
- The 9th Circuit has reinstated a porn star's lawsuit against a Canadian distributor who allegedly sold thousands of counterfeit porn DVDs. The plaintiff, Jules Jordan, was awarded $5.45 million in damages by a jury for his copyright and rights of publicity claims, but a federal judge later ruled the porn star's company lacked standing. The 9th Circuit disagrees. [CNS]
- A study concludes that Cameron Diaz is the most dangerous celebrity on the Internet. Internet users who search for Diaz risk harming their computers, according to computer security company McAfee. One in ten websites featuring Diaz contain malicious viruses. Diaz beats out Julia Roberts and Jessica Biel. Insert your own joke here. [Reuters]
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Underage Boy
- Jennifer Lopez is a Sexy Slice of Orange on 'American Idol'!
- Mila Kunis & Olivia Wilde Take Us on an Emotional Roller Coaster in 'Third Person' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Justin Bieber Makes Time to Show His Gratitude To Fans in Beverly Hills!
Weekend Box Office
For the weekend of 04/11/2014 Source: Rentrak