Hollywood Docket: 'Crocodile Dundee' Paul Hogan To Sue Australia
8:44 AM PST 1/7/2011 by Eriq Gardner
Eat your heart out, Wesley Snipes.
- Now that a five-year tax evasion investigation has been dropped, Crocodile Dundee star Paul Hogan says he will sue the Australian government for more than $50 million for damaging his reputation. Authorities looked into whether Hogan had concealed earnings in off-shore banks, but closed its inquiry due to a lack of evidence. Hogan's lawyer blames the investigation for damaging his earnings potential as an actor. Hmm. [BBC]
- Playboy announced in its 8-K filing that it has settled a breach of contract legal dispute with DirecTV, which sued the adult entertainment company last March after allegedly reneging on a promise to offer it the same terms as any other cable or satellite operator. Playboy is taking a $13 million charge on its Q4 earnings as a result of the settlement. [PaidContent]
- Wikileaks founder Julian Assange was reportedly so upset that cables were about to be leaked by The Guardian before he was ready, he threatened to sue the newspaper. [Vanity Fair]
- Martin Garbus, the well-known First Amendment attorney who is currently representing Mel Gibson's ex, will speak at Southwestern Law School's entertainment and media law institute on Jan 11.
- The House of Representatives got back to business yesterday, and the new Republican-held chamber made some noise about curtailing the FCC's authority on matters like regulation of the Internet. [Ars Technica]
- Walker Digital, the parent company of Priceline.com, is suing Activision, Blizzard, and Zynga, alleging patent infringement in some of the most famous titles in online game history -- World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Mafia Wars, etc. The patents allegedly cover digital protocol to set up an online tournament. [Developing Concerns]
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
- Kristen Bell Puts Pregnancy Style on Display for Samsung Ad!
- Kat Graham Speaks at 'Vampire Diaries' Vegas Convention Before Season Six Premiere Photos Released
- Emmy Rossum's Younger Co-Star Doesn't Know What a Beeper is!
- Kate Beckinsale Jets Out of LAX Looking Amazing After 'Underworld' Franchise Announcement
Weekend Box Office
For the weekend of 09/12/2014 Source: Rentrak