Hollywood Docket: Jackson Doctor to Stand Trial; Winklevoss Twins in Court; Beckhams vs. Tabloid
9:56 AM PST 1/12/2011 by Eriq Gardner
The morning legal buzz...
- Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor has ruled there is enough evidence to support a possible conviction of Dr. Conrad Murray for the involuntary manslaughter of Michael Jackson. As a result of the ruling, Murray will stand trial to explore all aspects of the singer's death. In a separate ruling, the judge also suspended Murray's license to practice medicine in California. [AP]
- The Golden Globes are Sunday, and there's news in the heated lawsuit between the show's producer and the organization that hosts the event. Dick Clark Prods is asking the court to dismiss the lawsuit brought by the Hollywood Foreign Press Assn. alleging DCP made a secret deal with NBC, arguing that its contract with the HFPA allows it to produce the show "in perpetuity" as long as it stays on NBC. [THR]
- The three-judge panel hearing an appeal by the Winklevoss twins didn't seem very impressed with their arguments yesterday at the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. The twins are attempting to undo a settlement made with Facebook that put to rest a dispute made famous in The Social Network over whether Mark Zuckerberg stole the idea for Facebook. [PaidContent]
- Billy Ray Cyrus is being sued by his former road manager for age discrimination. The 61-year-old plaintiff's duties included managing tour arrangements for Cyrus as well as tending to his Tennessee farm. [CN]
- A Los Angeles judge has denied soccer star David Beckham's attempts to question a former prostitute who claims to have slept with him. Beckham was seeking the testimony to support his $25 million libel claim against the publisher of In Touch Weekly. [OnPoint]
- A Rhode Island federal judge has concluded that Survivor winner Richard Hatch has violated probation by not filing amended tax returns or paying back taxes. He could be going back to prison. [ProJo]
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Underage Boy
- Jennifer Lopez is a Sexy Slice of Orange on 'American Idol'!
- Mila Kunis & Olivia Wilde Take Us on an Emotional Roller Coaster in 'Third Person' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Justin Bieber Makes Time to Show His Gratitude To Fans in Beverly Hills!
Weekend Box Office
For the weekend of 04/11/2014 Source: Rentrak