Hollywood Docket: Michael Moore 'Sicko' decision appealed; Warners vs. Zell; Register of Copyrights retiring
11:04 AM PST 12/21/2010 by Matt Belloni
- Ken Aronson, the man who sued Michael Moore's film company for using 71 seconds of his film footage for the documentary "Sicko," is appealing a federal judge's order last week to dismiss his invasion of privacy and misappropriation of likeness claims on free speech grounds. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals will be asked to review whether Moore's use of the video is allowed under the First Amendment and whether the judge should have applied Washington state's new anti-SLAPP law in throwing out key claims. Certainly a case to watch. [Justia]
- Warner Bros. and other unsecured creditors of Tribune Co. are looking to sue an investor group led by real estate tycoon Sam Zell that had brought out the media company in 2007. [NYP]
- SAG has settled a long-running class action lawsuit over foreign royalties that will mean the distribution of $7.9 million to actors. [THR]
- Marybeth Peters, the Register of Copyrights in the US, is retiring. She has presided over the office since 1994 in a contentious tenure that included P2P lawsuits and DRM controversies. [Arts Technica]
- Just for fun: Kid Rock is scheduled to appear in an Atlanta courtroom in connection with a lawsuit filed against him over fight in a Waffle House. [AP]
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
Weekend Box Office
For the weekend of 03/07/2014 Source: Rentrak