Hollywood Docket: Prince's Legal Fees; Ken Starr Sentenced; Wesley Snipes Petitions Supreme Court
1:25 PM PST 3/4/2011 by Eriq Gardner
Entertainment law quick hits...
- Prince is being sued by his former law firm, Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler. The singer is alleged to owe more than $700,000 in legal fees for cases that included his divorce and a battle with a perfume company over alleged failure to promote a "sexy scent." [NYDN]
- Kenneth Starr, former money manager to Hollywood stars including Martin Scorsese and Uma Thurman, was sentenced to 7 1/2 years for swindling more than $30 million from his clients. [NYT]
- The LA Times follows our story on Warner Bros.' win over the producer of Mortal Kombat in a royalties lawsuit with the tidbit that the judge has ordered Threshold Entertainment to pay the studio more than $25,000 in legal fees. [LAT]
- The New York Supreme Court has dismissed a cookbook author's claims against HarperCollins and Jessica Seinfeld -- Jerry's wife -- over an alleged theft of healthy eating ideas. The plaintiff previously lost on copyright grounds and attempted unsuccessfully to assert a breach of implied contract claim. [ELM]
- Wesley Snipes, serving three years in prison for tax evasion, hopes to arouse the interest of the justices of the Supreme Court. His petition for cert rests on the question of choice of forum in a criminal trial. [TaxProfBlog]
- Ashley Madekwe Gets Silly in Just Jared's Summer Fiesta Photo Booth with Aerie!
- Rihanna Flashed the World Cup Crowd & We Have the Pics Here!
- Bella Thorne Snaps Selfies with Madison Beer at Just Jared's Summer Fiesta!
- Zoe Saldana Talks Relationships with 'Marie Claire' Mag: 'If You’re Not Happy with a Person, Leave'
Weekend Box Office
For the weekend of 07/04/2014 Source: Rentrak