Jack Klugman sues Universal again over 'Quincy' profits
In a lawsuit filed today in Los Angeles Superior Court, Klugman claims his deal with NBC to star on the hit 1976-83 series entitled him to a quarter of the show's "net profits." According to the suit, Klugman never had a signed deal for the show but Uni execs agreed orally and "acknowledged in various writings that [Klugman was] entitled to a 'Participant Share' of 25% of all 'Net Profits' attributable to 'Quincy, M.E.'" and was to receive periodic accountings of the show's revenue.
Klugman says he never got either, and when his attorney Neville Johnson requested copies of his deals in 2007, he was turned down by NBC-Uni lawyers. Klugman then filed a lawsuit in March 2008 to obtain the documents, and the studio provided accounting statement for 1998-2006.
Now he's suing again, this time for breach of contract, declaratory relief and an accounting. According to the new lawsuit, Uni's statement showed:
- "Quincy" has generated more than $242 million in total gross receipts in its lifetime but Uni has reported a $66.4 million net loss on the show
- During the '98-'06 time period, gross receipts for the show were $40.8 million but net losses were $16.5 million.
Klugman is now demanding unspecified millions in back profit participations.
"Defendants made huge profits over the years but rendered an accounting statement which exposed that being a profit participant on 'Quincy, M.E.' was something that would never occur under Defendants' 'math,' rather a cruel hoax on the show's star, Klugman," the lawsuit says.
Universal could not be reached for comment.
UPDATE: An NBC Universal spokesperson gave us this comment: "The lawsuit is without merit."
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch
- Emily Deschanel & David Boreanaz Gives Us Intense 'Bones' Season 10 Trailer - Watch Now
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Manganiello Are the Hottest Couple in Miami
- Cate Blanchett's 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' Will Invade Comic-Con
- Kate Beckinsale's Birthday is Tomorrow & She's Looking More Beautiful Than Ever!