Jack Klugman sues Universal again over 'Quincy' profits
In a lawsuit filed today in Los Angeles Superior Court, Klugman claims his deal with NBC to star on the hit 1976-83 series entitled him to a quarter of the show's "net profits." According to the suit, Klugman never had a signed deal for the show but Uni execs agreed orally and "acknowledged in various writings that [Klugman was] entitled to a 'Participant Share' of 25% of all 'Net Profits' attributable to 'Quincy, M.E.'" and was to receive periodic accountings of the show's revenue.
Klugman says he never got either, and when his attorney Neville Johnson requested copies of his deals in 2007, he was turned down by NBC-Uni lawyers. Klugman then filed a lawsuit in March 2008 to obtain the documents, and the studio provided accounting statement for 1998-2006.
Now he's suing again, this time for breach of contract, declaratory relief and an accounting. According to the new lawsuit, Uni's statement showed:
- "Quincy" has generated more than $242 million in total gross receipts in its lifetime but Uni has reported a $66.4 million net loss on the show
- During the '98-'06 time period, gross receipts for the show were $40.8 million but net losses were $16.5 million.
Klugman is now demanding unspecified millions in back profit participations.
"Defendants made huge profits over the years but rendered an accounting statement which exposed that being a profit participant on 'Quincy, M.E.' was something that would never occur under Defendants' 'math,' rather a cruel hoax on the show's star, Klugman," the lawsuit says.
Universal could not be reached for comment.
UPDATE: An NBC Universal spokesperson gave us this comment: "The lawsuit is without merit."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR