Is Nintendo Serious About Trademarking 'It's On Like Donkey Kong'?
Nintendo announced yesterday that it had filed a trademark for the catch-phrase, "It's On Like Donkey Kong."
The announcement was quickly picked up by many news outlets and became one of the top five trending topics on Twitter. Yes, a trademark story is worldwide news!
Normally, an item like this would lead to charges that the company is being overly aggressive. But instead, most people seemed to allow Nintendo to score some points for creating the game that led to the phrase, which has been used in an Ice Cube song, American Wedding, and, most recently, in Universal's Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.
That said, did Nintendo really file a trademark application? We couldn't find one on the USPTO's website. Was it a PR hoax to promote the Nov. 21 release of Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Wii? Could be. Nintendo hasn't responded to a request for comment.
Our favorite theory comes from a commenter at Slashdot, who wrote: "it could also be as simple as someone in marketing deciding to use the phrase in advertisements (as a pop culture reference and nothing more), and the legal team, entirely by force of habit, attempting to trademark every last letter on the advertisement copy on a just-in-case-it-works basis."
That sounds entirely plausible.
Still — and maybe we're taking this a little too seriously — we'd be curious to read the actual trademark application to see if the company really did its due diligence on prior art. After all, Nintendo didn't originate the phrase. No, the company just wants to capitalize on a phrase that's been in use in film, television, and music for nearly two decades. Either that, or joke about it. Should they really be getting a pass for this?
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 10 Reimagined Disney Posters Bring Your Favorite Childhood Characters Back To Life
- DOCUMENTARY: How One Email Changed One Guy's Life... Forever
- Miley Cyrus Shows Off Her Sex Toy On Twitter, Should Seriously Be Taught What TMI Means
- Here's Everything Wrong With 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull'
- Diane Kruger Ties Up Her Shirt to Reveal Her Flat Stomach
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reenacts YouTube Viral Sensation 'David at the Dentist' - Watch Now!
- Michelle Obama Hosts Women in Soul Event, President Barack Obama Flubs Spelling of Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'
- Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Got Fooled By Princess Diana!