Aaron Paul and Zen Freeman Explain the Origins of 'Dance Bitch' (Audio)
The "Breaking Bad"-inspired techno track has become an underground sensation since its release on Rising Music following the AMC series' final episode.
Before literally riding off into the desert, Jesse Pinkman (via actor Aaron Paul) uttered his signature one-liner a final time, this time on a dance track. “Dance Bitch,” a track produced by Tom Neville and Zen Freeman, featuring the voice of Paul, has become an unlikely underground sensation since its release on Rising Music following the end of Breaking Bad.
How the track came to be is a tale almost as storied as how Heisenberg’s journey began -- early this past summer soon after Paul’s wedding, at which Freeman was the DJ.
“Zen’s been a friend of mine for years,” Paul says of Freeman. “Being that he’s a DJ and around so much dance music, we talked about the idea of doing something fun together.”
Inspired by Duck Sauce’s track “Barbra Streisand,” Freeman suggested Paul utter his signature phrase sporadically over a dance beat, as almost a proto-lyric. DJ, producer and occasional songwriter for Ke$ha, Neville was brought on to work with Freeman on the production.
“We recorded it on an iPhone,” Freeman says of Paul’s vocal. “Then I processed it and bang! The first person we played it for was Aaron.”
“When I heard the end result I was floored,” says Paul “I love how it turned out.”
While Freeman says Ultra Records initially had expressed some interest in releasing the track, “Dance Bitch” is now out through Chris Lake’s Rising Music in a deal brokered by Freeman’s and Neville’s common management team at Three Six Zero Group.
Freeman, meanwhile, continues DJing in and around Hollywood and as a resident at Wet Republic at MGM Las Vegas. Paul has gone to London to star in a film with Christian Bale, directed by Ridley Scott.
“He does not want to be a pop star, he just loves music.” Freeman says of his friend and collaborator Paul. “And he’s quite possibly one of the nicest people I know.”
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Gwyneth Paltrow Granted Restraining Order Against Stalker After Multiple Scares
- Elizabeth Warren On Whether Women Are Treated Differently Than Men In Washington: 'Yep.'
- Amy Poehler & Tina Fey's 'The Nest' Will Open Opposite 'Star Wars: Episode VII'
- Robyn & Röyksopp Release Two New Songs From 'Do It Again' EP
- Hot Docs 2014: 'The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz' Review
- David Foster Wallace's Family Doesn't Support the Jason Segel-Starring Biopic 'End of the Tour'
- George Lucas 'Is a Consultant' on 'Star Wars: Episode VII,' Says Disney Chief
- Actor Daniel Franzese Writes Amazing, 'Mean Girls'-Themed Coming Out Letter