Adele's '21' Racks Up 730,000 in Post-Grammy Sales, Hits No. 1 For the 21st Week
The singer-songwriter boosted sales of her sophomore album by more than 200 percent from the previous week after taking home Album of the Year.
Just when it seemed like Adele couldn’t get any bigger, she boosted sales of her latest album 21 by more than 200 percent after winning six awards at the Grammys. After taking home Album of the Year honors at last Sunday’s ceremony, the singer-songwriter continued her dominance of the pop charts with a 21st week at Number One on the Billboard 200 chart.
As reported by Billboard, 21’s 730,000 sales last week rank as the biggest for any album since the debut of Lil’ Wayne’s Tha Carter IV in September of 2011, when the rapper accumulated 964,000 purchases. The figure also outpaces 21’s previous one-week record almost two to one, after it scored 399,000 in sales over Christmas.
Since SoundScan started tracking sales in 1991, 21 has the second-largest sales week for an album outside of the Christmas shopping season, and its first month of release. The only record to outperform it is the Titanic soundtrack, which sold 848,000 in one week two months after debuting. Meanwhile, its 21 nonconsecutive weeks at the top of the charts is a record-breaking run for any release during the SoundScan era.
What's Hot In Music
- 'Every Single Thing' In the 'The Walking Dead' Season Five Premiere Is a Spoiler
- Quentin Tarantino May Finally Release 'Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair'
- Chris Pratt Surprises Kids at 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Screening, Steals Our Hearts (VIDEO)
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Is So Over 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Lindsay Lohan Poses for a Mini Bikini Photo Shoot in Ibiza!
- Diane Kruger Wears a Crop Top & Displays Her Unreal Figure!
- Olivia Munn & Boyfriend Aaron Rodgers Sent Superfan a Green Bay Signed Jersey & His Reaction Is Amazing!
- Mark Wahlberg & Amanda Seyfriend Arrive on Set for First Day of 'Ted 2' Filming!