'American Idol' Finalist Phillip Phillips Requires Emergency Surgery: Doctors
The Georgia native refused treatment when he returned home last weekend.
American Idol finalist Phillip Phillips, who has suffered from ongoing kidney problems throughout the competition, has been ordered by doctors to undergo "immediate" surgery.
The singer refused treatment when he returned to his hometown of Leesburg, Ga., last weekend in order to adhere to the show's rigorous shooting schedule. And sources inside the production tell The Hollywood Reporter that Phillips has been experiencing pain "so severe" that he's been granted permission to sit out the weekly high-concept (and physically exhausting) Ford video shoots for several weeks now.
"I've been sick, so they gave me those days to rest," Phillips told THR when asked about his absence. The network has no comment on Phillips' health status.
Phillips received emergency medical treatment in March for extreme abdominal pain but made it back in time for the Top 13 results show. He's a favorite to take the title when the winner is announced May 23 on Fox.
GENIUS LOST: ROBIN WILLIAMS
What's Hot In Music
- Nicki Minaj's 'Anaconda' Video Has All The Butts You Could Ever Want In A Music Video
- CMA Songwriting: Chats with Bob DiPiero, Carrie Underwood, Easton Corbin, Kix Brooks, Chris Young, Ronnie Milsap & Little Big Town's Kimberly Schlapman
- The Special Way DWTS' Tony Dovolani Embraces Fatherhood and Raising His Autistic Son
- Mental Illness on TV
- Best of Late Night TV: Pierce Brosnan Fails at 'GoldenEye 007,' Chloe Grace Moretz Fakes Cello (VIDEO)
- Let's Rank the 'Saved By the Bell' Very Special Episodes (VIDEO)
- Julianne Hough May Return to 'Dancing With the Stars'... as a Judge
- The East Hill Mall's Back-to-School Commercial Goes Viral for All the Wrong Reasons (VIDEO)