'American Idol' Finalist Phillip Phillips Requires Emergency Surgery: Doctors
The Georgia native refused treatment when he returned home last weekend.
American Idol finalist Phillip Phillips, who has suffered from ongoing kidney problems throughout the competition, has been ordered by doctors to undergo "immediate" surgery.
The singer refused treatment when he returned to his hometown of Leesburg, Ga., last weekend in order to adhere to the show's rigorous shooting schedule. And sources inside the production tell The Hollywood Reporter that Phillips has been experiencing pain "so severe" that he's been granted permission to sit out the weekly high-concept (and physically exhausting) Ford video shoots for several weeks now.
"I've been sick, so they gave me those days to rest," Phillips told THR when asked about his absence. The network has no comment on Phillips' health status.
Phillips received emergency medical treatment in March for extreme abdominal pain but made it back in time for the Top 13 results show. He's a favorite to take the title when the winner is announced May 23 on Fox.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Robert Downey Jr. Tweets First Photo From 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Set
- Hot Docs 2014: 'The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz' Review
- David Foster Wallace's Family Doesn't Support the Jason Segel-Starring Biopic 'End of the Tour'
- George Lucas 'Is a Consultant' on 'Star Wars: Episode VII,' Says Disney Chief