Remembering Amy Winehouse: 5 Developments After Her Death
The troubled soul-jazz singer died July 23, 2011, of accidental alcohol poisoning.
A year has passed since Amy Winehouse died young, at the age of 27, putting a sad and early end to a life filled with career triumphs and personal tragedy.
Winehouse, who struggled with drug and alcohol addiction, succumbed to accidental alcohol poisoning in her London home on July 23, 2011. The news reverberated around the world as fans lamented an undeniable talent gone too soon. But Winehouse's music lives on: her second studio album, 2007's Back to Black, became an instant classic, spawning the titular single as well as such songs as "You Know I'm No Good" and "Rehab" and winning five Grammys including the trophy for best new artist.
Below are five top developments since her death:
1. The launch of the Amy Winehouse Foundation. The organization, which aims to provide support for young people dealing with poverty, addiction and other issues, was founded last year in England and launched in the United States this past spring. It recently raised $10,000 for the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra's after-school programs for kids from areas sidelined by Hurricane Katrina."Even after a small space in time – we're talking a year since Amy passed away – we are beginning, well, Amy is beginning, to have a positive effect on a lot of disadvantaged young people's lives," the singer's father, Mitch Winehouse, tells The Associated Press.
2. Mitch Winehouse writes a book, Amy, My Daughter. The memoir, released June 26, recounts her rise to fame, descent into drugs and tumultuous relationship with ex-husband Blake Fielder-Civil (read an excerpt here, via Rolling Stone). "I wrote it fairly quickly after Amy passed away. I found writing it quite cathartic and I thought it would help me in my recovery, and to a certain extent it has," he told the AP. "But reading the book back for edits was very difficult indeed; more difficult than writing the book."
3. More Winehouse music. Her third studio alum, Lioness: Hidden Treasures, was released in December 2011, debuting at No. 1 on the music charts and and selling 194,000 copies in its first week. It features unreleased songs hand-selected by producers Mark Ronson and Salaam Remi as well as Winehouse's family members. The first single, "Body and Soul," was a duet with Tony Bennett, with all proceeds from the record going to the Amy Winehouse Foundation. In a recent interview with BBC 6 Music, her father revealed plans to release additional posthumous albums. Meanwhile, rapper Nas just released his collaboration with Winehouse, titled "Cherry Wine," which he includes on his brand-new album Life is Good.
4. A possible biopic. Mitch Winehouse won't rule out a film on his daughter's life and music, so long as it's not done in poor taste. "We don't want a sensationalized movie going out, you know, but equally there's no point in sort of massaging the fact that Amy was a alcoholic and drug addict; no point in pretending that didn't happen," he said.
5. The Amy Winehouse Inspiration Awards. The first installment of the event will be presented Oct. 11 at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City, honoring people who help "inspire greatness in others" including Winehouse collaborators Bennett and Remi.
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- Matthew McConaughey Wishes Washington Redskins Logo Wouldn't Change
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Kim Kardashian, Even Though She Literally Shares Everything
- Gerard Parkes Dead At 90, Award-Winning Actor Best Known For 'Fraggle Rock' And 'Boondock Saints'
- Nicholas Brendon, 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Actor, Arrested In Idaho
- Best of Late Night TV: Ice Cube Talks N.W.A. Movie, Alan Cumming Recalls Shia's 'Cabaret' Arrest (VIDEO)
- What's Worth Watching This Week: 'Snowpiercer,' 'Life After Beth,' 'Pee-wee's Playhouse'
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Will Have More Visual Effects Than Any Other Marvel Movie
- Florida Mom Petitions Toys 'R' Us to Remove 'Breaking Bad' Figures From Stores
- Oscar Pistorius Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison
- Nikki Reed Flies the Skies After Adopting Kitten with Boyfriend Ian Somerhalder
- Olivier Martinez Supports the Denver Broncos Before Sunday Night Football Game!
- Chloe Bennet Gets All Dolled Up for 'Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D' PaleyFest - Watch The Full Panel Here!