Arcade Fire Honors Lou Reed During NPR Concert
Snippets of Reed's "Perfect Day" and "Satellite of Love" made it into the band's set of songs from new album "Reflektor."
Arcade Fire treated a room of devotees to an intimate set at Capitol Records studios in Hollywood on Monday night. The exclusive event, broadcast to NPR stations nationwide via Los Angeles' KCRW, came a day ahead of the release of Reflektor, the band's highly anticipated fourth album, and featured much of its track list, albeit not in sequential order.
The hourlong performance also gave a nod to the late Lou Reed, who died on Sunday from complications related to a liver transplant earlier this year. Evoking two classics from Reed's 1972 solo album Transformer, the band segued into somber snippets of "Perfect Day" and "Satellite of Love," the latter during album closer "Supersymmetry."
The tribute had some audience members in tears.
For much of the night, frontman Win Butler let the music do the talking, though he did acknowledge at one point how far Arcade Fire had come. "It's not too different from Spaceland," he said, referencing the popular indie rock club just a few miles away in L.A.'s Silver Lake neighborhood. "Only there's 10 million people listening."
Those limited to audio of the performance didn't get to see the raucous scene inside the famed underground recording complex. The band insisted on foregoing risers so that they could be among the people. And were they ever. Butler riled up the crowd by jumping into it while his half-dozen bandmates kept the beat bouncing with a steady pump of the fists.
It didn't take much to amp up this industry-heavy audience, however. Not only were the many executives in attendance invested in the project -- Capitol Music Group is providing marketing and promotion support in partnership with Merge Records -- but Reflektor is already receiving rave reviews from fans and critics alike.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Rita Ora and Calvin Harris: Working Together After a Breakup?
- From College To The Bright Lights Of Broadway: Meet 'Rock Of Ages' Leading Lady, Carrie St. Louis
- Blake Lively Pulls A Beyonce By Revealing Wedding Dress In Preserve Video
- Kristen Bell's Mary Poppins Takes On Minimum Wage With A Spoonful Of Sugar
- Best of Late Night TV: Dwayne Johnson's Fainting Spell and Morgan Freeman's Helium Balloon Voice (VIDEO)
- The 10 Most Important 'Interstellar' Mysteries Revealed at Comic-Con 2014
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer: Back To the Hilariously Outrageous Future (VIDEO)
- There's Still Hope For an 'X-Files' Reboot