YouTube Star Austin Mahone to Open for Taylor Swift on RED Tour
The teen newcomer joins country star Swift on six U.S. dates.
Teen newcomer Austin Mahone has locked in an opening slot on Taylor Swift's massive and highly anticipated RED Tour. He will appear on at least six dates of the country star's 2013 trek.
The YouTube sensation, whose current hit "Say Somethin" is climbing up the charts, got his start by posting covers of pop songs online. Some 90 million views and 500,000 YouTube subscribers later, Mahone is now signed to a major label deal through Chase Records and Universal Republic, and recently sold out New York's Best Buy Theater and LA’s Palladium Theater. His strong and growing fanbase, known as “Mahomies,” have boosted his success by consistently supporting Mahone through social media (he has attracted over 1.4 million Facebook fans and 1.2 million Twitter followers).
Mahone’s momention has made the press take notice as well. The Wall Street Journal hailed Mahone as one of the “five leading contenders to be the next Bieber.” While The Hollywood Reporter was the first major outlet to feature the Texas native. The long-form piece called “The Making of Baby Bieber” is currently up for a National Entertainment Journalism Award.
Mahone himself seems ecstatic with the news, exclaiming, “I still can't believe I’m opening for Taylor! I’m so appreciative and excited for this opportunity. Getting to play in stadiums, and it’s with one of the biggest artists in the world! I can't wait!”
His dates on the tour begin on May 4. More information can be found on the official Austin Mahone Facebook page.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- Report: Joan Rivers Doctor Took Selfie During Unapproved Biopsy
- Music Turns Me on: A Conversation With the Hot Band Dopapod
- Ira Sachs' New Film "Love is Strange" Screens at the Deauville American Film Festival: Alfred Molina and John Lithgow as a Married Couple in Love
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestant Alfonso Ribeiro Proves Carlton Still Got It
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'