YouTube Star Austin Mahone to Open for Taylor Swift on RED Tour
The teen newcomer joins country star Swift on six U.S. dates.
Teen newcomer Austin Mahone has locked in an opening slot on Taylor Swift's massive and highly anticipated RED Tour. He will appear on at least six dates of the country star's 2013 trek.
The YouTube sensation, whose current hit "Say Somethin" is climbing up the charts, got his start by posting covers of pop songs online. Some 90 million views and 500,000 YouTube subscribers later, Mahone is now signed to a major label deal through Chase Records and Universal Republic, and recently sold out New York's Best Buy Theater and LA’s Palladium Theater. His strong and growing fanbase, known as “Mahomies,” have boosted his success by consistently supporting Mahone through social media (he has attracted over 1.4 million Facebook fans and 1.2 million Twitter followers).
Mahone’s momention has made the press take notice as well. The Wall Street Journal hailed Mahone as one of the “five leading contenders to be the next Bieber.” While The Hollywood Reporter was the first major outlet to feature the Texas native. The long-form piece called “The Making of Baby Bieber” is currently up for a National Entertainment Journalism Award.
Mahone himself seems ecstatic with the news, exclaiming, “I still can't believe I’m opening for Taylor! I’m so appreciative and excited for this opportunity. Getting to play in stadiums, and it’s with one of the biggest artists in the world! I can't wait!”
His dates on the tour begin on May 4. More information can be found on the official Austin Mahone Facebook page.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Gwyneth Paltrow Granted Restraining Order Against Stalker After Multiple Scares
- Elizabeth Warren On Whether Women Are Treated Differently Than Men In Washington: 'Yep.'
- Amy Poehler & Tina Fey's 'The Nest' Will Open Opposite 'Star Wars: Episode VII'
- Robyn & Röyksopp Release Two New Songs From 'Do It Again' EP
- David Foster Wallace's Family Doesn't Support the Jason Segel-Starring Biopic 'End of the Tour'
- George Lucas 'Is a Consultant' on 'Star Wars: Episode VII,' Says Disney Chief
- Actor Daniel Franzese Writes Amazing, 'Mean Girls'-Themed Coming Out Letter
- Tina Fey & Amy Poehler's 'The Nest' Has Some Stiff Competition